Need Advice: Glass Range Top

I grew up with a gas range, but since I got married, I've had an electric range. I have a Jenn Air with coils but I also have a glass/ceramic top that I can swap in. (The Jenn Air has modules. You can have coils, glass, grill or griddle depending on which modules you own.) I've had the glass top for a while but it's packed in the basement as I'm afraid that I will screw them up if I use them. The last thing I want to do is to mess them up. Any advice on cooking on glass? What do I do if something boils over? Can I use my same pots? Anything I shouldn't do that I do with coils? How do I keep them clean and looking new?

Any help/advice is appreciated.

JSD24

Asked by JSD24 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Food & Drink

• there are great! there are cleaners for the glass top, too. i love it! and yes, i've had boil-overs, splashers, and greasey specks from cooking. the cleaner/polisher gets everything up! and it looks brand new and shiny, everytime.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:42 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• *they are great!*...haha.
    dullscissors

• I have a glass top. If something boils over, wipe it off. If it gets burned on I take a razor blade and scrape it off, but you have to use it at the right angle or you will scratch it. I bought the bottle of glass cook top cleaner to get off things that just dont come up or discolor the glass. It works REALLY well. The glass top is SO much better as you dont get the drip pans icky and the top is EASY to clean. Just make sure the bottom's of your cookware have no sharp edges on them or they will scratch the glass. After I clean mine off and it's cool. I use windex on it to make it shiny.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My grandmother has a glass top. She cleans it after each use with a special cleaner.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 12:58 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• We just got ours last week. And like the other ladies said - I love it!!!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:09 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• We have a glass top. The main benefit is that it is actually way easier to clean after boil-overs etc. That is the only good thing about it IMO, and I'm not really a fan. It takes even longer than the coils to temperature adjust, so if you cook many things that are very temperature specific, it is difficult. It was very difficult for me to adjust after cooking with gas that has instant temperature adjustment.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:16 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• You are not supposed to use copper pots on most glass top stoves but you should check your owner's manual to be sure there are no others. If you don't have one you should be able to download one from the companies web site. You can also pretty much clean them off with the cleaner that they sell in the store, it works wonders.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• They work fine, but coils are better IMO
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2011