Do you think "generally" kids turn out better when at least one parent is at home when the kids come from school and they are not left t0 raise themselves ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Yes
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:45 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• yes

Answer by missanc at 12:49 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I do think it's better for the child, for the most part. But one size does NOT fit all when it comes to parenting. Not every family has that option and that doesn't mean that those children are less loved or cared for
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Generally, yes, but I think a lot more plays into it then just being there after school. My parents were always there, attended every sport activity, came on field trips. I had a great relationship with them growing up and I think I turned out pretty good. I had a friend in college who was in shocked that my parents drove 2 hours to see my softball games. Her parents never attended a single game ever that she played. While she turned out pretty good as well, her relationship with her parents is nowhere near the same as mine. I also had a friend whose parents were very much involved but very critical of everything she did. She didn't turn out quite as well and she doesn't really talk to her dad at all. This is where quality and quantity come into play I think.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 12:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Just because both parents work, does not mean the child is "raising themselves". Are you going to fault every person out there who is honestly trying to make a good living and not live off any type of government assistance? Are you going to fault people who believe it is their duty to work their ass off and trying to bring home the best that they can for their family?? This type of statement makes no sense. What it is saying to me is that you believe that one person should be at home with their children no matter what it takes... if it takes living off welfare and going without, when one is perfectly capable of holding down a job and supporting their family as they wish??? (shaking my head.....)
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• In a way my mom and dad both worked and I turned out fine, as in I got enough attention etc but I got away with more as a teen cause they were too busy to check up on me lol So I wish they had been stricter with me.
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 1:09 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Absolutely! No one cares like the parent does.
    LuckyStarr28

Answer by LuckyStarr28 at 1:36 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I have to say my mom worked 2-3 jobs to raise my brother and I, but she still made sure that she was involved in our lives. Neither one of us turned out BAD. This is why it urks me when I hear people say that they or their children turned out BAD because their parent worked and was not home when they got home from school.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 12:45 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• generally..........
    gwen20

Comment by gwen20 (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Apr. 11, 2011