how can I get my head strong 17 month off the bottle!?!?

she only takes her bottle at nap time and bed time and she cries until she makes herself sick if we don't give it to her. During the day she doesn't want it and won't take it but at nap time and bed time she HAS to have it!

doodah06

Asked by doodah06 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was facing the same problem. My DD MUST have her bottle at naptime and bedtime. It's how she calms down and unwides enough to rest.
    First, I switched her to water in the bottle. That way she still gets to suck but sugars don't sit on her teeth.
    Then, I went looking for answers - just like you. I found a forum for this topic at BabyCenter.com and nearly every mother said Why Bother? Some of the answers were so gentle and loving they made me cry.

My little girl is only this little once. She won't be using a bottle when she goes off to college, she won't even be using it when she hits Kindergarten. In a year or so, if she's still using it, she'll be old enough to understand the "bottle fairy" or so other concept and I can get rid of the bottles then without shaming her out of them. For now, we rock and read stories before naps and bedtime while she drinks water out of her bottle. It's a soothing time for us both and I see no reason to force it to end
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• You tell her it is nasty or all gone each time she asks for it. Then give her something in a sippy if she is truly thirsty. Also tell her she is a big girl and praise her for drinking from a big girl cup. After a while she will stop asking for the bottle and forget she ever needed it. It just takes time to form a new habit. She will not get sick crying, plug your ears, and don't feel guilty if taking it is for her own good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• AVENT HAS BOTTLES THAT HAVE NIPPLES THAT YOU THEN CHANGE TO SIPPER TOP. MAYBE GIVE HER ONE OF THOSE FOR A DAY OR TWO THEN SWITCH THE TOP. ~? OTHER BRAND PROBABLY ALSO HAVE THEM IF HAVE TIME TO LOOK. GOOD LUCK! SMILES! :) ~KAY P.S.*& IT DOESN'T LEAK. :)
    KAYOCHOA

Answer by KAYOCHOA at 12:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• My mom said that she had that problem with me. She threw my bottle down the laundry shoot and told me that it was all gone. She said that I believed her and never asked for it again.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 2:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• all i had to do was take it a way 1 time from my son and he never wanted it again try it. it may work
    ADENSMOMMY123

Answer by ADENSMOMMY123 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• just take it away!!!give her a sippy cup if she gets thirsty enough shell figure it out. i know it sounds mean but i beleive cold turkey is the best.at night just comfort her as much as you can try to get her a snuggle that she likes.
    sunshinemama86

Answer by sunshinemama86 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I know what you are going through! I have the exact same problem with my 17 month old lil' girl..It is like her bottle is her sothing blanket.Throgh the day shell drink from juice boxes and rarely a sippy,We have every kind of sippy there is and none work.I have tried CIO,throw it away,take it away but she it just so comforted by it that I cant MAKe her quit taking,she is not ready yet.
    Lindasmama

Answer by Lindasmama at 9:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2008