Any tips for adult acne? Trying Proactiv...

I am 26 and it was rare for me to have acne as a teen. I have been using Proactiv for a month and am not impressed so far. It does take away the soreness but my breakouts are worse than the ones they show on the advertisement. I have dark circles under my eyes too and just feel horrible from the way I look. If I go without makeup, people ask if I am sick or pregnant because of my complexion. I hate to be one of those girls that refuses to leave the house without makeup but it's becoming very consuming because I can't even see family or friends without comments on my skin. They all want to tell me what I am doing "wrong." I am at a loss and feeling so unpretty... I now use Solutions Plus Total Radiance for under my eyes. I only use Proactiv once a day. I will bump it up to twice but might get too dry...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Proactive customer service will tell you that it will actually make your acne WORSE before it gets any better. They claim that it is pulling all the oils and dirt from your pores. They strongly urge your keep trying for AT LEAST 3 MONTHS.

I told them to shove it LoL.

My husband actually freaked when he saw me one day. Hurt like hell. Proavtive made it so leaving the house was unbearable.

I have tried OCM, proactive, neutrogena, Murad, Lemon juice, and a few other brands. By accident I came across a youtube page and this lady had such wonderful skin. I asked what she used and it turned out to be the simplest products.

*Cetaphil
    *St. Ives
    and *Aveeno.

I haven't had a major breakout in over 4 months. If I do break out, its a very small white head. I even use my makeup (not daily, but maybe once a week) and not issues.

Message me if you want the exact product names.

GL mom!!
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 2:58 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Proactiv is full of salisillac acid (not sure I spelled that right) Anyway, it has super drying agents in it, not the best choice for adult acne, google Clnical Care and see where you can find it, the acne treatment is 100% amazing,,good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:12 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• When I was using Proactive, the best results I had was, actually, by only using the cleanser and toner . . .once AM and once PM. The lotion stuff that comes with it dried me out too much and made my skin hurt. I also went on Tetracycline for a month. Totally cleared everything up. (But you can't so that if pregnant, nursiing, or TTC).
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:14 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I haven't had good luck with proavtive either. It stinks too. I use regular dove soap, then use an oxy pad, the maximum strength one, and then use clen and clears dual action moisturizer. I do that in the morning and at night, and use the pads, when I feel my face getting dirty.

I never had a problem with acne until I switched bc and now I look like I'm 14! I've tried a lot of different things, masks, expensive pills, ointments from the dermatologist.... This is the only thing that's worked and it's probably the cheapest!!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:14 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Adult acne is a MEDICAL CONDITION!! Go see your Dr for something that will work, and to find out the cause.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:14 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Oh I have been googling this stuff for a few months. I settled on Proactiv. They all say they work great. Of course they will. I was wondering by opinion what worked for other people. You know they pay people to be in their ads and can make up any statement...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My husband has acne and he tried Proactiv. It was horrible. It dried out his skin and it made him break out even more.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I love proactive. I use JUST the cleanser, then use a marykay timewise moisturizer. Love it!! Oh yeah, and I don't wear make-up for more than 4hrs at a time if I feel a breakout coming on, to allow the O2 to get to my face!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I had a horrible reaction to Proactiv. I would never try it again.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:56 PM on Apr. 11, 2011