Are things really getting better?

Just from what I read online and in the newspaper things will be getting worse before they get better. How do you see it?

Food Prices Expected to Rise Sharply
Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Apart from the sluggish economy and rising prices for everything. Things are getting better. For us they are anyways.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I dont see things any better than they were before. Gas in higher, food is higher, and any money Americans will make is going to try and cover those expenses. So lets say you were unemployed and got a job, you now have to pay more to get to work because gas is higher. Because gas is higher food is going to go up as well. I really dont see how anyone can see our economy as any better? I wont even get into the fact the housing market is still in the tank and unemployment is still high in many states.

Answer by gemgem at 1:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Things for us have always been good.

Answer by older at 1:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I'm happy for you Older
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• From where I sit.....NO. The price of gas is up, food and necessities are higher, utilities are higher, jobs and the housing market are still worrisome. State budgets can't be met, SS is in trouble. Medicare and Medicaid are in trouble. Supplies to fix the roof over our heads is higher. So, no I don't think that things are getting better.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I haven't noticed things getting better, anywhere.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• No not really.I live in TN ..in the boonies no less.. so it is rougher than ever since I have lived here for the last 10 yrs.Yes gas is up and food prices are getting totally ridiculous.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:39 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Not really. For everyone I hear about finally finding a job, I hear about someone else losing one or having their hours cut back. Business is great for my former employer...which means collections, repossessions and lawsuits. Life there runs in inverse proportion to the economy in general - when they're booming, everyone else is getting bent over, and when things are good, they are only making basic loan interest, not all of the extra money they get to tack on in late payments and processing fees for defaults.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• We have not been hurt by the economy at all. We kind of recession proofed ourselves by saving and living way below our means. My husband could lose his job today and we would be fine without any Gov assistance or unemployment for many years. He has a great job and I work as well. We put all my checks away and save half his. I don't think things are getting better for all and it will be a long time before things get back to the way they were. People are going to have to change the way they live and learn to do with less.
    Anonymous

• People are going to have to change the way they live and learn to do with less

. THIS^. I do not think we will ever again live like many have in the last 2 decades. I do feel sorry for many young adults. There are few if any industries hiring for positions that provide self supporting salaries, and many yound adults have never lived "without". I am grateful that although my kids were raised in a very comfortable environment, they are easily adjusting to and are accepting of living their lives with much less. My oldest is once again living and working offshore. ADAPTIBILTY is the name of the game these days.Sadly, MANY, of all age groups, lack this basic ability.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2011