Lying for a job

I've been a stay at home mom for the last 10 years! Upon filling out my resume, I'm considering dishonesty.

Instead of saying, I've been a stay at home mother of four children, a domestic engineer...

I was self employed, running a daycare? Doesnt that sound better than 'unemployed' for last decade?

Do you think it's WRONG?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would only say you are running a daycare if you actually babysat other children. Taking care of your own children doesn't count as a daycare, and lying is not a good way to start off a job, they can let you go if they find out.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 1:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I wouldn't lie for a job. Depending on what job you're trying to get, I don't think employers have it out for SAHM's. You just note what you were doing in the 10 year gap from your last job.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:36 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It can backfire on you today. You can list it as an occupation and explain your duty's as a SAHM but employers today dont seem to have much of a sense of humor. Say self employed as a Day care. That IS an actual job they cant gripe about. List all you had to do for it that is an actual job skill like budget, safety, money handling tax preparation, customer service issues
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Oh, and being a SAHM is a JOB!!!!!! lol
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It's wrong to say you were running a daycare if you were not running a daycare. That can easily backfire on you.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with saying that you stopped work to raise your children and now that they are older, you are wanting to get back into the workforce.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:39 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• devili would definitely lie to get a job. now.. i am not saying that you should put on your application that you were an MD or a surgeon but if you have to exaggerate a little bit and stretch the truth by all means do it. that will not make u any less of a hard worker if you get the job. in this life you have to do certain things to compete especially in this economy where hundreds of people might be after that one position u are applying for. you have a family to feed and bills to pay go for it and good luck.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Id lie to get a job. People do it all the time.

Answer by gemgem at 1:45 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• If you are running a Daycare your are self employed. I would put self employed and when asked about explain truthfully.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I would not say I ran a day care if I truly did not. I LOVE the term Domestic Engineer (it's in my profile description here on CafeMom <3). I would simply write that you were a domestic engineer, homemaker, stay-at-home-mom - which ever term you prefer - for xx amount of years. SAHM's have a lot of valuable traits needed in today's workforce. Good luck!
    DragonflyGirls

Answer by DragonflyGirls at 1:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Be honest and say what things you did while at home. Did you take care of the family finances, do the tax returns, etc? Did you do volunteer work? Were you involved in any neighborhood issues like getting sidewalks put in, etc? Any town committees of any sort? Think of all the different things you have done in that time and include them.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2011