Help with LENGTHENING a temper!

My youngest Ds will soon be 5mos. He has never gotten the concept of babbling or fussing, he goes from smiles and giggles and cooes to straight-on ear-piercing screams at the drop of a hat. His temper just EXPLODES! Anything I can try to help him slow down before getting so upset?

I'm a cry-it-out mom, but this isn't a CIO scenario. It's every time he's bored with his seat, he wants room to roll, gets hungry (I feed on demand, he doesn't overeat) wants held, changed, etc. There's no warning ahead of his fits. He's not colicky, just DEMANDING. The sound of him screaming is triggering my fibromyalgia flares!

Help!

matobe

Asked by matobe at 1:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Um, he's only 5 months old, not much you can do. My daughter was like that, she was a screamer the minute she came out of the womb. I understand how maddening it is, I really do. There were times where I would just have to put her somewhere safe, like her crib and just let her scream. I had to do it for my own sanity. But if it's any consolation, she's almost 12 now and is just the happiest little girl.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Some babies are just more demanding than others. He is very young and knows no other way of communication. Even now you can relate to him how you relate to the scenario - "oh boy, you seem really hungry or you really want out of that seat now."

My oldest was a difficult and demanding baby. It was extremely hard, especially being a first time mom with no siblings or sil around to help me see that everything was extreme, but still normal. He is still a difficult child at time, but extremely smart and talented. but not as easy to contend with as his siblings who are far more easy going.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Thanks momma, I could sure use the lift. I feel awful for putting him to bed, but I would feel worse if I lost my own temper over it! He eats more on days he screams more, like he needs the extra calories! And I always rush to get him after I've put him in his bed and has been quiet.

My first was such an easy baby.(just turned 2 yesterday.) I was so pleased! He's still pleasant, doesn't ask for much, and never pitches a fit (unless you tell him he doesn't need 2 pkgs of gummy snacks, lol) he behaves in the store, minds other adults, and uses his manners.("sorry, balloon." If he bumps it) this one has already been the deciding factor we're not having any more.
    matobe

Comment by matobe (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• he is 5 months old and will go through stages of different things; it is hard to deal with but as long as you are OK with the CIO then just keep doing what you are and don't let him know that it is bothering you; babies can sense when we are upset and it makes them upset also
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 12, 2011