BABY IN THE CHURCH

I love kids. I love my church service. Here's the question. My church has a meditation session before each service that lasts about 20 minutes. It begins with 1 minute of tranquil music, either by a piano or guitar player, to get you into the mood, and then silence for 20 minutes. ANd then, the baby noises began. Why, why do people insist on bringing infants to that kind of session instead of leaving them in the infant room until that part of service is over? The monitor always informs people to turn off their cell phones and to please refrain from moving, but why don't they ask people to consider others for this moment and leave the infant, toddler, baby in the appropriate childcare areas?

ladylovemm

Asked by ladylovemm at 1:41 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Me personally, I wouldnt trust my infant (toddlers are different) to anyone but myself and my husband....maybe they feel the same way...my church has a sound proof room behind a sheet of glass where parents of very young children can go where they can still see whats going on and the service is piped in...I usually go in there where I won't disturb people...but no I wouldnt leave my child in the infant room either...but that's just me
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I never leave my infant in the nursery but if he started crying then I took him out.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• maybe they want to apart of that section of the service too. They just can't do it with out their child. if the child was screaming then I would say maybe they should step out but baby noises are natural. I think it's a good thing they are bringing their child or children to church in the first place.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• If someone asked me to send any of my kids to a church daycare so I could attend services, Id find a new church.

Answer by gemgem at 1:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I dont understand since when did babies crying and making noise intrerupt everyone elses abiltiy to believe and concentrate... seems like peopel just want everything thier way... it is natureal that they cry and what not... those parents dont want to have to stop doing everything in life just because a baby cries... im sure a long time ago when a baby cried in church or what not they were not to be ashamed of it and im sure people didnt tell them to take the baby out... just like if you go to the store if your toddler starts throwing a fit are you supposed to drop everything and just deal with that...no you go about how you normally would
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 1:49 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• since you also posted this in R&B, here's my c/p:
    why don't you ask them? not to be rude, but any else can only speculate. perhaps they don't want to leave their child with strangers..perhaps their isn't enough 'help', if any, in the infants room..perhaps the babes weren't crying or making cooing 'noises' when they came in. as a mother, assumedly, you should know babies are inconsistant with their vocals and the timing of such.

good grief..if its that much of a bother to you, why not do the meditation in the privacy of your own bathroom, or car outside in the parking lot?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them. (Mark 10:13-16)
    Anonymous

• I am not personally bothered by infants in the church, noisey or otherwise. Church is supposed to be a gathering of your community. And, that includes kids & infants. I wouldn't belong to a church that didn't allow me to bring my infant into the sanctuary. If my child was being overly noisey (uncontrollable crying), I would cetainly excuse myself from the service out of respect for others. But, those who don't are certainly not shunned by me. They have the right to be there as much as I do.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:02 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• While I wouldnt leave my DD at the nursery, I would NOT expect her to be silent for 20 minutes.
    Its like bringing a little kid to a movie.. Until they can sit still and quiet the whole time, you shouldnt be bringing them there. Its being courteous to others, just because your child's crying and talking doesnt bother you, doesnt mean neveryone wants to hear it while they are trying to meditate..
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2011