BABY IN THE CHURCH

I love kids. I love my church service. Here's the question. My church has a meditation session before each service that lasts about 20 minutes. It begins with 1 minute of tranquil music, either by a piano or guitar player, to get you into the mood, and then silence for 20 minutes. ANd then, the baby noises began. Why, why do people insist on bringing infants to that kind of session instead of leaving them in the infant room until that part of service is over? The monitor always informs people to turn off their cell phones and to please refrain from moving, but why don't they ask people to consider others for this moment and leave the infant, toddler, baby in the appropriate childcare areas?

ladylovemm

Asked by ladylovemm at 1:42 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree, that's not very considerate of others who want that quiet time to focus on the Lord;-(
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 1:45 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Some parents DONT want their baby's in with a bunch of other germy baby's and those parents are RUDE for disturbing other people with a noisy baby in a service. Some people are just clueless. I dont blame them for not using the childcare, but I also feel they should have their own services for all the noisy baby's alone.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:45 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• why don't you ask them? not to be rude, but any else can only speculate. perhaps they don't want to leave their child with strangers..perhaps there isn't enough 'help', if any, in the infants room..perhaps the babes weren't crying or making cooing 'noises' when they came in. as a mother, assumedly, you should know babies are inconsistant with their vocals and the timing of such.

good grief..if its that much of a bother to you, why not do the meditation in the privacy of your own bathroom, or car outside in the parking lot?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Is it possible that they enter with the baby sleeping, hoping the baby will stay asleep, only to awaken? Do they leave once the child starts making noise? Don't they offer a room where parents of infants can sit with a monitor so they can participate too?

I agree that it's rude, but many times we don't know the circumstances. I'd maybe recommend the church offers a substitute for those who wish to participate but are still capable of having their infants with them (like the other room with a monitor).
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I agree it's rude. Perhaps the parent can meditate through the noise, but it's not considerate of other people. They may assume since no one has brought it up, no one minds.

If you have concerns, talk to the monitor about it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• just because the parent doesn't want to leave their babies in a germy baby's room,or there is not enough help to watch the babies;; that does not mean the parents with bawling babies should impose on and disrupt the meditation at the church. they should either stay home with their babies and meditate at home or stay in the back until the meditation session is over.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• You should speak up and tell the person in charge of the services that baby's crying are a distraction from the intent of the meditation. And suggest that from now on when they announce before the service about cell phones and such they need to include crying babies. IMHO
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Christ said let the little children come to me. Yes, when a little one gets out of hand they should be taken out, settled down and then brought back in. I'll bet you're one of those who sit on the very end of the pew instead of moving in toward the center, so parents with little ones have to crawl over you to get in or out. I'm so glad our Priest welcomes the little ones. Whenever one really speaks out, as they do, He'll pause and say here that? That's the future of the church.Or if a mother apologizes after church about her little one getting noisy during the prayers. He's say that's OK he was praying in his own way.
    daps

Answer by daps at 1:55 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I get you point but the probably dont wanna sound rude like "leave you kids somewhere else" , cause God loves all the children. But as I said I get your point. Maybe the mom has issues with parting from her baby? Is she new to the church and maybe doesn't wanna leave the baby in the nursery?
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 1:57 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• IDK is a church not a place for the family? We do not do meditation as part of the service, maybe the parent do not realize that the baby is upsetting the med. time. If it is truly a problem then maybe in the program it should state something about the crying babies are not welcome. Not necessary in those words.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 11, 2011