Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it free to get your child tested for learning disabilities?

I am not sure if my son has a learning disabilty but I see signs that concern me and I am not sure what to do next. He is in 1st grade and I have discussed with his teacher but she has not offered to recommend him for any testing, she keeps telling me to take him to his Doctor??  thanks

Answer Question

Asked by Jodi7273 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 3 (17 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • My son was tested though the school system. It was free.

    Answer by MrsMWF at 1:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • If the school is offing a free screening yes it should be free, but if YOU want to know YOU have to go to a specialist yourself and PAY for it or get your insurance to pay for it.

    Answer by vbruno at 1:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • I am assuming the child is in school, if that is in fact the case then you would speak to his teacher ans request an evaluation. It is free to be evaluated through the school system.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 1:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • You can typically go through the school (for free) if you follow the process correctly. I personally did not have any faith in their testing whatsoever so I paid for my own independent testing (our insurance did not cover); it was much more thorough and detailed than the school was willing to do BUT I did not mention that I was having independent testing done because I knew the school sometimes used that as an excuse to not do their own. Plus, it made for an interesting comparative.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • My son is not in school and he got it for free from the county. Someone from the school district came out.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • how old is he id he in school yet? then have you talked to the teachers? If hes not in school yet or you homeschooling talk to you pediatrician they can put you in the right direction. He probably need a evaluation wher they test how far he is an such.

    Answer by LittleBirdFly at 1:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • Can you get a referral for a developmental pediatrician? I put much more faith in their diagnosis than the school.

    Answer by TARARENEE at 1:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • If you suspect a problem take care of it now while he is younger.. I have been battling the schools for FOUR years to get some accomadations and help provided.. We went to a childrens hospital, but made the mistake and told the school, they wont agree with the results and dont "feel the need" to test my son any further. Start with your pediatrician, she/he could refer you to a specialist. But if you dont have the money request that the school do a multi-factor evaluation on your child, put it in writing. Once, they receive the paper they have 5 days to legally start the process. It is a long process, it can take up to 3 months. Its better to do it now, before he starts a new school year.. Good luck!!

    Answer by solmenkoo3 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • Thanks all - this really helps. I updated a second ago - he is in 1st grade and his teacher keeps suggesting we go to a Doctor but I do not like that way she is handling it. If she is hinting at a problem she should be getting us recommended for testing, right? This is all new to me.

    Comment by Jodi7273 (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

  • She probably is, but she can't tell you to get him tested and she can't mention what she thinks it may be. That's how it is here anyway.

    Answer by TARARENEE at 2:41 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.