U-hauls

Well I am moving back to missouri and we got quotes from moving companies in the area and they all wanted over 1600$s. Well we where looking at u-hauls and I was just wondering if the lump sum was all they charged for a u-haul or do they make you pay extra like so much per mile or so much per day?

charmd18

Asked by charmd18 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Travel

• Check into Budget rentals. Their rates are better. Usually there is a lump sum for the rental and you pick it up full of gas and return it the same way. Make sure to have it back within the time you have agreed on, or you could be charged an additional day. Also check rates for weekdays versus weekends. There can be weekday special rates that help you save. Good luck and happy packing. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 1:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Yes it's also a per mile charge and any damage after you bring it back plus cost of tarps hand trucks and boxes and wrap. . You CAN get a huge discount on U-haul's on the web site, or make the guy at the place give you the web discount. To move from Orlando area to SC they wanted $1100. We demanded the web discount and got the truck for 650 instead, but still had to pay the per miles charge on top of the fee.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:49 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I'm pretty sure w/ U-Haul, you pay the rental fee, plus a certain amount per mile, depending on what type of van or truck you rent. Also, you have to fill up the gas tank before you return it or they charge you a fee for that too.
    You can go to their website and see the rates for the different vehicles they have.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:49 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• The best trucks in the move yourself rentals is Penske. Their trucks are all in great shape and excellently maintained. When you get a quote it will be from one place to another. They allott you a certain amount of miles to go exactly from the origination and destination you provided. If you go over that you pay an extra per mile charge. Take their insurance, otherwise any accident, act of God or anything else can leave you holding the bag. Normally your car insuracne policy is limited in what they cover for rentals. Extras would be Hand carts, blankets, boxes...and of the moving supplies. Buying plastic totes is way cheaper than boxes and you can use them to organize garages and attics and such later.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:58 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Uhaul is probably going to be about the same as anything else. We use them a lot for different stuff. They have different rates for how far you are going, and where you are dropping off. You have to pay for your own gas as well. So it'll probably not be much difference. I actually don't think $1600 is bad. We are spending 2300.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• We used a uhaul yuck to move from Montana to Kansas last year. We reserved online, and it was a per-day charge, and we paid a fee for the first tank of fuel it came with, the fuel we used, and to fill it again upon return. We didn't have a mileage fee. There might be one, however, if you're not moving far enough to use the entire tank of fuel.

With budget and the other sideshow movers we looked at weren't exactly close to our location, so the cost/time to pick it up and time/cost to return it just wasn't economical.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:00 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• We got a pod- expensive, but cheaper than a moving company.
    You pay for one month storage (You keep it for one month.- around $800) you fill it, they come get it, they bring it to you. Cost from Upstate NY to NC- around $1k.
    the only catch is that you have to have it empty and have them pick it up before your one month is up or they charge you another month's rent. But if you know where you are moving to exactly (we didn't-) then it shouldn't be a problem.
    Now: the size. We had a three bedroom with a lot of stuff- I'm almost a hoarder-..almost...and we couldn't fit our couch, or our big computer desk. We also didn't take our queen size mattress or our kid's beds. We wouldn't have had room anyway.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 2:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Truck*

And about the insurance, if you have your own policy for your own cars besides just liability, get the policy that covers the truck only. We rolled a trailer in Nebraska on our
    way down, and it banked upside down against a tree and yanked my truck into the ditch, blowing one of my tires. I immediately called uhaul to make them aware and to get another trailer. Our belongings were left in the ditch from Dec 31 to Jan 4 before we were approved to move it, and until Jan 10 to open it because we had to wait for adjusters. Then, once we got in it to get our things, we were then told that we would only receive a prorated amount for items we had receipts for. My great-grandmother's pedal sewing machine? No value. My gramma's China? No value. Our 2yr old $2200-new, projector screen 50" tv? $400.

I called my car insurance, and if I had full coverage, atleast for the month we moved, it would have covered to fence, the truck,
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• And our belongings at replacement or appraised values!! Our insurance wouldn't cover if we had the full coverage since we purchased the uhaul policy. So please!!!! Check with your own car ins first!!!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:56 PM on Apr. 11, 2011