Are retailers required (supposed to) check ID when presented with an unsigned card in DEBIT transactions (with a PIN)?

I know it's supposed to happen with credit transactions (with a signature), but I was under the impression that the PIN acts as ID when it's a debit transaction, and no ID is required--thus why the bank instructs you not to give out your PIN. Am I mistaken?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 2:00 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• There's no law one way or the other, but some stores have their own policy that you must have an ID to use any kind of card. I know the hole in the wall convenience store near us does it, and insist the names match (which is a PITA for us since both our names are on the acct, but only mine is on the card).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Has a retailer, NO, if they are using a pin number you don't have to identify yourself. It's proving it's your card.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• i thought that with just a signature they were supposed to check but not with the pin
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 2:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Good question - not exactly sure. I guess if you were asked for your ID and could not produce it (been there done that leaving it in my car), that the clerk could deny your payment. All a safety measure I suppose. Here's a "Bump" for ya in search of a good answer.
    DragonflyGirls

Answer by DragonflyGirls at 2:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• most of them dont even see you card cause in most stores you swipe it yourself. Dont know if they required though.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 2:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• idk..its usually ME who asks THEM if they want to see my ID or the card (credit or debit). i never get asked for any form of ID.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Everybody is lazy where I live. They never ask me for ID for any type of transaction. I use my husband's wal mart card all the time & sign HIS name to the pad thing & still...never ask. (btw, he knows I have it).
    Anonymous

• I use my debit card as both a credit card (signature) and a debit card (pin). It has been used so many times that the strip where you sign your name is completely gone...hence, no signature. It even says across where the strip has come off "VOID VOID VOID VOID." No one has ever noticed this because they never look for my signature no matter if I use the card as a debit or a credit. I've even pointed out to some that the strip is completely gone and they don't care.

Something you might find interesting......when I first got a credit card, I would sign every name but my own on the receipts. It was never noticed. I finally asked to speak with a manager and he told me outright that they do not pay attention to the signature if the transaction goes through smoothly. He even pointed out that some people sign their name with an "X" and that's considered legal because it is them signing it, be it their name or not.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:09 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I'm not asked for ID often, and this was the first time ever for debit. But I used to work at a store that required us to check ID for all credit transactions, whether the card was signed or not. At the same store, I also handled charge-backs, where customers would claim that they did not authorize their purchase, and the store would have to prove to the bank that they did; believe me, a correct signature helps loads in those cases. Though I suppose it doesn't matter as much when you don't have to worry about high-dollar purchases...
    DragonRiderMD

Comment by DragonRiderMD (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I worked in retail, and if there is a PIN required, you arent required to check the ID. Some stores always do, and some hardly ever do.
    To make sure they always check your ID, instead of signing it, write "see ID", and they will always ask for your ID.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:52 PM on Apr. 11, 2011