Do you carry cash or always use debit/credit?

It is an extremely rare occasion that I have cash. I most always use debit/credit --- always pay off my credit card bills at the end of the month (just use the card to collect the 'rewards points' -they are free $$ that way). I guess I'm just too lazy to carry cash around. I am extremely diligently wise in my debit/credit purchases - I've got some good self-control. (Wasn't that way in college though!)

DragonflyGirls

Asked by DragonflyGirls at 2:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• OH......and we are a VERY frugal large family....I think people's views that carrying cards are more likely to cause you to spend money is BS...my hubby and I do not spend no more no less while using our cards.....it's just called being RESPONSIBLE whether you are using PAPER or PLASTIC. LOL.
    skittle_jitters

Answer by skittle_jitters at 9:40 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• i never carry cash. i like my wallet to be thin
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• ' If cash is lost, it is lost. AND Credit Cards are how you establish a Credit Rating! If you have an excellent payment history, you've got it made when buying a car or a home. Your loan interest rate is MUCH lower than someone with a bad rating or no credit rating. "

Minus fuel and online purchases, we're a cash only family. PP, you're forgetting that if you over spend with a debit or credit card that money is gone. Studies have shown that you spend 12 to 18% MORE when you swipe with a debit or credit card vs. paying with cash. Sure cash is gone the moment you lose it- but unless you're losing cash 1 out of the 10 times you leave your home with it- you're actually saving money.

And HELLO, when you don't have any debt (debt caused by car payments, credit cards, signature loans etc.) you have cash to pay for cars (fancy that it's 0% interest) and you can do manual underwriting for a mortgage so no credit required.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:12 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• 99% of the time I use a debit card. Let the banger steal my debit card cause I can cancel it faster than they can use it. Not so with cash. I have cash if Im eating out as I only tip with cash so the server gets their $$
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:09 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I try to have some cash for little transactions. I feel silly paying for a pack of gum with a debit or credit card lol
    Anonymous

• I never carry cash. If cash is lost, it is lost. You never get it back. AND Credit Cards are how you establish a Credit Rating! If you have an excellent payment history, you've got it made when buying a car or a home. Your loan interest rate is MUCH lower than someone with a bad rating or no credit rating.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• 99% of the time I use my debit card. If I carry cash, I'm too likely to spend it! LOL
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I never carry cash, and I hate it when I need it and then have to run to the ATM. Those times I'm usually at school, or some craft event, and they don't take anything but cash... My Hubby say's I should have at least 40.00 cash in my purse, and I never seem to remember,lol...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• both.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I use credit cards 99% of the time.

We pay off the balance every month and get rewards points.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:39 PM on Apr. 11, 2011