Any ideas for book club?

a friend and i are starting a book club and we are both new to it. i looked up some basic guidelines online but i wondered if anyone had any extra tips or good ideas about this. thanks!!

amberpaiz

Asked by amberpaiz at 2:25 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Man! I was thinking about starting a book club where I live...I've been here 2 years and still don't know anyone lol anyways I always thought it would be fun for every meeting you do the theme from the book....like if you were reading "Water for Elephants" you would do an old timey circus theme when it comes to the decorations and food and stuff like that....I probably have too much free time on my hands lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• You need to figure out who you want involved. Just close friends? Friends of friends? Anyone and everyone? How many people?

When and where will you meet? Rotate between members' houses? A library or book store? A restaurant or coffee shop? Sometimes figuring this out first will tell you how much space you have to work with and can help with the number of people issue. And be sure to pick a time that's convenient for everyone you specifically invite.

Then you need to worry about format. How will the books be picked? Everyone at the first meeting agrees on a list for a set number of meetings? Choose the next month's book at the previous meeting? Have each person pick a book and rotate them? Will you have a discussion leader? If so, will it be the same person every time? Will you launch straight into book discussion, or have time for chatting and catching up before getting down to business?
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:36 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• no not really lucky209 b/c thats the book we picked hahaha!! and we are gonna do a theme for it!! so great suggestion!!
    amberpaiz

Comment by amberpaiz (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• i was just asking b/c i read the guidelines and i am not dumb i know the concept of a book club i was really asking to see if anyone had something special they did that they might want to share..geeze
    amberpaiz

Comment by amberpaiz (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Its a book club. You pick books you think you will all enjoy, all of you read them then discuss them. What other suggestions could you possible need?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:36 PM on Apr. 11, 2011