What makes a doctor decide when he has to pull the baby out with the plunger thingy (lol I can't even think of the name of that thing!)

I was induced at 6 am and started pushing and 1pm and then at almost 3 the doctor decided to use that thing to pull my baby out. Why not just have me keep pushing or wait a while?

Brandi300

Asked by Brandi300 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• He used it because after several hours of pushing the baby SHOULD have been able to get past your cervix. They use it when your labor IS NOT progressing. It's safer for the baby and less stress on your heart and the baby's.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My friend needed it used bc her blood pressure was rising, and the baby's heart rate was dropping. So they wanted her to stop pushing... He was out 5 mins. later...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Were you laying on your back with your legs up while pushing?

If so, you closed off your pelvis by 20%. Next time, push only when you feel the urge, get on your hands and knees or squat, that will open your pelvis by 20%.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Well, if your baby's heart rate drops even after you stop pushing or there are many other factors, then, it is wise to use it. IF the ONLY reason they gave is you pushed for a while. Then, it is NOT a good indication of need.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I had it done with my first. There is 2 things they use either a vaccum or forceps I had the forceps. I was pushing for 4 hours, my blood pressure was rising, my temp was rising it got up to 104 and my babys heartrate was dropping her head was completely stuck in the birth canal. Having you push that long and the baby being stuck can actually kill the baby because the baby then can't breath. It can also kill you as well if waited to long. But your chances of having it done again are slim I had small hips and that is why my dd couldn't pass I was worried to have another baby, but my doctor assured me that probably wouldn't happen again and it didn't I am on my 3rd now lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• i only had one hospital birth and the stupid dr. wanted to use that plunger thing, so i pushed my baby out. i had only pushed 3 times before that. she was just a horrid dr.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• although usually they don't use it just for pushing for a long time usually it is because the baby is stuck and they need to help the baby through
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I assisted my BFF"S deliver and got to see it being used hands on up close! He used it because her cervix was really swollen, and she was at ten cm but baby couldn't pass through, so he placed the vaccum(that's what it's called)on her little head, and every time mom pushed, he would pump the vaccum.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It's cheaper than a C section!
    Musicmom80