My 15 year old son has social anxiety, what can I do to help?

My son has withdrawn from all of his activites, he doesnt try and go to any friends houses nor does he invite anyone over. We try and push the issue, but the other day he said everyone he knows (9th grade) is already drinking and smoking. I think he just doesnt want to get involved! THANK GOD, but i feel so bad for him because he does nothing, absolutly nothing after school and on the weekends!!!!

solmenkoo3

Asked by solmenkoo3 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• If your son doesn't seem unhappy or depressed than I wouldn't make too much of an issue of it. I have several friends with sons the same age as yours and they're going through similar experiences. Good friends can be difficult to find at that age. My son is in junior high and there are times he'd rather hang out at home alone than call a friend. After having one of his "friends" over a few weeks ago I understand why. Teen and tween boys are sometimes rather harsh and cutting with one another. They were playing a video game and his friend kept telling him how much he sucks. I'd rather be alone, too, than be belittled and insulted. I know there are nice kids out there it just may take awhile to connect with them. Expose your son to a variety of activities and if he finds one he's passionate about, there's a good chance he'll eventually find friends that way. Thats what we try to do with our son.
    cege

Answer by cege at 4:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I think these years are very hard - its great he is opting not to do those things but I understand your upset and sadness for him.. Just try to be there and remind him that he will eventually find friends worthy of his time.. I'd rather him have no friends than the wrong friends.. *hugs* Just try to keep his spirits up and be his best friend right now
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• What does he love to do? What is his talent? Is he okay with activities centered around those?

There is alot of funny business in the high school right now . . . he actually might be better off making friends who are concerned with excelling in a certain area . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I'd recommend finding what he's interested in and maybe having him explore things to find friends with common interests.
    I think its great he wants to keep his distance from others who do those things, but of course it would be nice if he had a group of friends to socialize with.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2011