Hard knots under 5 week olds breast

Today we noticed that my 5 weeks old son had a hard knot to the outside of each breast toward the arm pit. It doesn't seem to hurt him but it scares the hell out of me. I've called the Dr. and I'm waiting on him to call me back. In the mean time has anyone else had this happen to their baby?

malleymom106

Asked by malleymom106 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, I have not.....Prayers for you and your son
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 2:43 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Is your son breastfed? I was breastfeeding my son and I discovered a hard lump in his chest too. The doctor told me it was an overdevelopment of breast tissue due to the hormones in the breast milk. Basically, he was getting little man-boobs. Although my husband did not find it funny, I got a kick out of it. They do go away, however. Its not something that stays there permanently. Best to have it checked out though, just in case.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• they are breastbuds...especially if you are BFing, it's the hormones from you that ar doing it. My daughter had them also...they disappeared with time...although, if you are truly concerned then call your doc.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Yes, He may have a virus.

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• probably just the hormones he still has from living inside you. you shared more estrogen with him than he will have normally and it can take a couple months to even out. if you're super concerned about it talk to y9our pedi. i wouldn't worry too much.
    ibebreezy

Answer by ibebreezy at 4:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Sounds like breast buds from your hormones during pregnancy and birth. Totally normal, but bring it up at next appointment.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:01 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• never heard of it before good luck with the doctor and prayers are with you
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 12, 2011