Chance of a breech birth?

What are the chances of baby being breech?

jessiskinner200

Asked by jessiskinner200 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Not sure how high the chances are but your ob will try to manually turn your baby, and then opt for a c-section if your baby hasn't turned...
    Anonymous

• Very little. I don't know the exact totals, however...many doctors or nurses will tell a pregnant woman that the baby is in breech position, even as early as 30 weeks, and scare the living bejeezus out of her. A baby can safely be in breech position until almost the point of labor...and turn. Babies can turn the day before. If you've been told early that your baby is in breech position, don't worry; it happens ALL THE TIME and the baby almost always turns on its ok. Take care.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 3:00 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I'm sure you could google the chances but it's not a big deal anymore for most women. I had one and the doctor just turned her. It didn't hurt and she was fine

Answer by admckenzie at 3:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I don't know. I had one. They don't try to turn the baby. They told me if they turn it, there is a good chance it will turn right back. I had a c-section.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• If your OB mentions automatically scheduling a c-section because of a breech baby, it is time to find a new OB. Breech is never an automatic c-section, and *very rarely* requires intervention.

My 3rd baby was transverse/breech up until my final week, he didn't turn until the last minute. He would have been born breech if he hadn't turned. Most babies turn on their own, even in the last few hours before birth.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Thanks lovely mamas. I haven't been told baby is breech. I just get worried, I don't want a c-section.
    jessiskinner200

Comment by jessiskinner200 (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• my son waited until the last minute to turn, he was breech at my last appointment on a friday and by sunday morning he had turned by the time I was at the hospital. The docs always seem to freak out moms- and just about everything freaks out moms. Hope you have a healthy baby!!!! :)
    lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• By 20 weeks it's about one in four.
    By 40 weeks it only about 4%.

If you do find that baby is head-up in the last month do not panic!
    (There are things you can do to better your chances at safety prior to then, though~)

Be sure to hire a good care provider that will save a cesarean for TRUE emergencies.
    If you hire a surgeon then (s)he will probably prefer to opt for a surgical birth...
    (*Who you hire for your care provider can be your biggest risk factor.)

You have other options, too.
    Avoid an ECV for safety (manual version).
    Consider Moxibustion, Pulsatilla, Webster, and a bunch of exercises ladies do from home, too!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2011