What is the movie "Water for Elephants" exactly about?

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Entertainment

• Read the book. It was fantastic. It's about the lives of people who work in a traveling circus. A love story.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It's based on a book by Sara Gruben...i think thats her name...about old timey circus freaks and a man who works there...it's been a long time since I read the book so I don't remember the exact details but I remember LOVING the book and have every intention of going to see the movie
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I'm sure PETA was very much involved in the training for the movie. As far as your choice not seeing the movie, fine, but the OP wasn't asking that question. Before you bash something, make sure you have actual facts that the elephant was actually abused.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 7:41 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• calliesmommie - you've got it all wrong. This book is a novel. A story about an old time circus. It has nothing to do with the way elephants are treated in current day circuses. The book isn't even about elephants.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Its about an old man, in a nursing home and the circus is coming to town.., He remembers his life after he joins the circus and falls in love. Great book.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:25 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It all starts because another man in the nursing home claims to have worked for the traveling circuses back in the day "carrying water for elephants" and the narrator calls him a liar because he knows that elephants need more water than any man can carry.
    its a great book.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:27 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• go ahead an put your blinders on...just b/c you disagree doesn't mean it's not going on. Circuses are torture on elephants and anyone who disagrees is ignorant and has their head in the sand...I don't care if I get a hundred thumbs down on that one :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Im not talking about the book or the movie and what it's about...Im talking about how they USE circus elephants in the MODERN movie that is in the theatres. That elephant had to come from somewhere...Im sure it's an excellent movie. But I personally don't go see movies when circus animals are used....odds are that is a circus trained elephant that they are using and the way they are "trained" and treated is deplorable....I hope everyone is clear on that...Im not trying to be a bitch here...just disappointed that they are using a real elephant in the movie....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:52 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• @luvschocolate...first off, PETA has nothing to do with training elephants...sounds like you're the one who needs to get the facts straight....second, it's a given that circus elephants are abused with whips, bullhooks, electrocution, etc....so yes, those are facts. And it's people like you and the others that think if you put your blinders on and ASSume something, then it's not really happening. Everyone has an opinion :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:12 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• After seeing the way elephants are mistreated and abused in circuses, I must say I am disappointed in Reese Witherspoon playing in that movie. I don't care if it's regulated by the Humane society or not, they do not belong in circuses. I will never watch that movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CKxNpnP5pM

just in case you disagree or don't believe me.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2011