Are trampoline's safe even with a net around them?

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Home & Garden

• they arent safe enough for me to buy one and put it on my property - to be liable for the neighbor kids... google the number or ratio of accidents on trampolines and seriously you will see - it isnt worth the risk... kids get hurt in the nets just as much as just bouncing onto the ground.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:28 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Safer then without but they arent fool proof. My dd broke her arm on our trampoline and it had a net around it. She fell through a small hole where her brother had not secured it properly. There were 6 of us outside (adults) and it still happened. Nothing is fool proof.

Answer by gemgem at 3:26 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Some people say no. We have the biggest one we could find with a net around it and our kids love it! We haven't had any problems with our kids or any of the neighborhood kids getting hurt on it in the 3 years we've had it. I had one when I was a kid too without a net and nobody ever got hurt.

Answer by missanc at 3:27 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• DH is an orthotisit, and he says there will never be a trampoline in our yard, over 1/2 the broken bones he sees are from trampolines.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• As long as there is life on earth...there will be accidents. Trampoline or no trampoline.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Most home owners insurance will not allow you to have a trampoline.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I work with CPS placing abused/neglected children in foster or adoptive homes -- new state standards say that trampolines ARE allowed -- IF THEY DO NOT HAVE A SAFETY NET! For some reason, it is the state's belief that they are safer without a net and/or a ladder!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• We have a small trampoline. We use it indoors. No accidents to report here!
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 3:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My DH says NO WAY to a trampoline
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 3:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Our pediatrician is against them. They are not recommended for home use by the American Academy of Pediatric. They cause too many injuries for them to be safe.

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;103/5/1053

Not worth the risk in my book. My younger sister injured her ankle at age 8 and still has severe problems with it 25 years later.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:36 PM on Apr. 11, 2011