Is it acceptable to wear black to a May wedding?

As a plus size gal, I have been having difficulty finding a formal outfit to wear as a guest to a wedding next month. I've found some really flattering and pretty black dresses. Is it acceptable to wear black to a May wedding? Men wear black tuxedoes so I thought it might be okay but I'm not sure. Thanks, in advance for your input! :)

AzAngie

Asked by AzAngie at 3:43 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Shopping

• Yes, get what's flattering to you.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I think it would be fine, just make sure the bridesmaids dresses are not black!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I got married in May and had a few women wear black. I say wear what you are comfortable in!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 3:49 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I am plus size also, so I know how much magic black does!! LOL if ur feel hott in it, flaunt it! Its a great confidence booster to be in public knowng you look cute ;) enjoy the wedding!
    AdrianzMommie

Answer by AdrianzMommie at 3:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It used to be considered a faux pas to wear black to a weding, but that no longer seems the case. I would suggest however some colorful accessory (necklace, bag, earings) . Be comfortable, be confident!
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 4:16 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• wHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU OR YOU LIKE .iT IS YOUR WEDDING
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• People wear black all the time now so it isn't a big deal. Just wear something you feel comfortable/confident in!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:29 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Thanks so much ladies. I feel better about it now. I wouldn't have minded if a guest at my own wedding wore a pretty black dress.
    AzAngie

Comment by AzAngie (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2011