No fever, but here is some Motrin anyway

My six year old son hasn't been feeling well today. He has thrown up twice, but it wasn't a lot each time. He doesn't have an appetite and has been resting on the couch for most of today. He feels warm to me (not burning hot, just warmer than normal). I've taken his temp three times today and each time it has indicated a normal temp. Yet my hand (and the fact that he has no energy and just wants to lay there) says small fever. Would it hurt to just give him some Motrin anyway? If he does have a fever it will bring it down and if he doesn't it just wont do anything right? I just feel funny giving him any kind of medicine if there is a chance he doesn't even need it. By the way I've done the traditional things like remove his shirt and cool rag on his forehead, haven't seen any change.

Mama2JoshKatie

Asked by Mama2JoshKatie at 3:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The body runs a fever for a reason - to get rid of a virus or infection. Only give him motrin or tylenol if he is uncomfortable and can't sleep or rest. Otherwise, just let his body heal itself.

I always used to dose for a fever until a cousin (who is an MD) explained that you only give meds for a dangerously high fever or to make the child more comfortable.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 4:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• give him tylenol instead. Motring can irritate his tummy. Personally, don't think he needs anything besides clear liquids, that would be the best thing for him, even if he does have a small temp
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I would have given some tylenol. But thats just me...
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would give him some Motrin. It will also help a head ache.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:00 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• i would not give him anything at all. let him rest, and let his body do what it needs to do to recouperate. imo, fever reducers and pain relievers only prevent the body from working at its best.
    my kids have never had any medication.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Wow thanks ladies. I'm sure glad I asked. I haven't given him any medicine and I've just been letting him rest. Hopefully this little bug will run its course today. Now my three year old who is perfectly fine keeps asking me to feel her head. lol
    Mama2JoshKatie

Comment by Mama2JoshKatie (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• He was over it by the next morning! Thanks for the tips ladies.
    Mama2JoshKatie

Comment by Mama2JoshKatie (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2011