Flouride Supplements?

My son (7 mos) was prescribed flouride supplements because he's teething and we don't have flouride in our water.... I just read in Baby Talk the flouride is no longer reccomended. Advice?

NewArrival

Asked by NewArrival at 10:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The best person to ask would be a pediatric dentist, since they will know how much flouride a child's teeth need and whetheer or not your city has flouride in the water.

And I believe baby toothpaste is flouride free because some cities already have flouride in the water, and if that toothpaste were to be used in those cities, it would be too much flouride for the little system to handle.
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 1:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• listen to your dr he knows what he is talking about. there are alot of things out there now that some believe in and some dont. Not everyone is going to agree. If you want a second opion find a pediatric dentist and take him in for a apt and ask the dentist what he thinks.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:06 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• if your baby is bottle fed then i could see how that might be necessary.
    before offering the supplements i might get a second opinion from another doctor, though.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:25 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I've read recently that kids are getting too much fluoride and it's not something they need, even in small doses.
    Anonymous

• If babies need fluoride, then why is baby toothpaste fluoride free?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I never gave my kids flouride. I think it is ridiculous.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 2:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2008