How can I encourage my 15 yr old son to study properly?

tried every possible way.he dosen't study enough or with concentration.His grades are falling and looks like this is not very important to him no matter how much I explain the consequences.

mitamo

Asked by mitamo at 4:02 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I am not sure that at this age you can force him to study. Have you tried getting him a tutor or having him be a part of a study group. I would try and talk with him and see if there is a reason why he doesn't study or if there is something else going on.

You could either try punishing him or rewarding him. I think the only way he is going to learn is if you let him fail, which as a parent is a very hard thing to do.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• do some one on one with him. Show him how to study a few nights.... then make sure he is in the kitchen with you while you are preparing dinner . get him to read aloud to you and ask him questions.

turn off the tv, radio, and so forthe
    see if that helps.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 4:08 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I'd suggest the one on one as well, and maybe try to see what it is that is keeping him from wanting to study. It could be understand the material and doesn't want to bother, could be he thinks his social life or down time is more important (obviously if that's the case I'd remove those things from the priority until work is done).
    I've been recently dealing with my 13 yr old about this, and while his grades aren't great - he did just go from F's in Science in Social Studies to D's due to the fact I've made him bring his work home and sit down every night with him for an hour to work on it together.
    I found the reason my son wasn't studying or trying is because his friends don't because they don't think its important.
    I had to explain to my son that grades will matter in HS and if he isn't passing and doing well, the chances of getting into a college of his choice will slim.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• And what are the consequences? That he won't graduate high school, or that he'll just graduate with a low GPA and not get into Harvard? If learning isn't fun, it isn't learning. Studying with greater concentration won't help him retain anything. Maybe his life goals aren't the same as your goals for him. Have you accepted that possibility?

Maybe he doesn't have a vision. He may have low self-worth from a lack of productivity. He may need something important to do.
    If you don't want to home educate him, find out what's important to him. Withdraw him for a semester and send him somewhere else: mission trip to Nigeria, foreign exchange in Brazil, etc. Send him to a farm as an intern. Send him on a trekking adventure.

15 is old enough to have a job. Maybe he needs something worthy to do. A child feels worthy if he is doing worthy things. Self-worth is based on how they judge themselves as members of society.
    MariAnKenobi

Answer by MariAnKenobi at 4:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Study habits are taught very early on so when they get to this age this does not happen. Maybe a special tutor from the Sylvan center or such can help.

Answer by older at 4:52 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Don't give up! Find out how he learns then, still spend time daily studying with him. Eventually you will see a change. If you must go to the school and get the course info maybe you could create your own study plan but do it with him. Good Luck.
    BillieHolidae

Answer by BillieHolidae at 7:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• talk to him about his future
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 10:14 AM on May. 25, 2011