Does it hurt when the doctor checks you to see if you're dialated?

i'll be getting checked friday and again weekly til may 5th.
sorry about all the questions, i'm a first time mom and i'm getting nervous as this pregnancy gets closer to the end lol.

xLeeAnnex

Asked by xLeeAnnex at 4:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think it depends alot on your cervix. It was always very painful for me bacause mine was tilted and positioned far back so my OB always had to do some real digging to check dilation. My sister (has 4 kids) never felt anything besides a slight pressure when they checked her because her cervix was right at the front and easy to get to. Unfortunately the only way to know for sure where your cervix is at is to be checked. All you can do is hope it is as comfortable as possible and know that if it is a little painful it is completely normal and will be over in a few short minutes! GL!! :)
    Missalissa86

Answer by Missalissa86 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It's uncomfortable and if the area is already tender it can be a little painful but nothing too bad, more like a pressure, but if the doctor is good it's usually pretty quick. Labor pain is extremely worse so don't fret now.
    Anonymous

• No, it's a little uncomfortable because they have to reach a little further, but ya might as well get used to it! They also push gently on your stomach... Not a big deal.... And it's so worth it if your starting to dilate
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• No just uncomfortable
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It depends on your cervical position. Mine hurt because she had practically her whole arm up there!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• The doctor who checked me was good, it was only uncomfortable. The midwife who checked me however-OUCH! If someone is checking you and it is extremely painful, make them stop!
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 4:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Why would they be checking you so early, even if you are dialted doesnt' mean anything. Anyways I always thought it was uncomfortable, but not nessesarily painfull. Only time it was painfull was when I was being checked DURING a contraction, UGH that sucked.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• With the women Dr's I had it was only a slight discomfort. But when the male Dr who was on call came in to check me when I was in labor, yes it did. Nothing serious, but definately beyond discomfort. (I was glad he ws there though as DD had to be foreceps and he is the best in the area)
    Don't worry - you will do fine
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 4:12 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I don't get checked with my pregnancies~ but I do know that many women do feel pain-discomfort.
    (*And they also sometimes get swept with/without giving consent, so be aware.)
    Fortunately it's optional if you prefer to avoid this you can, of course.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2011