For moms only who have Breastfed past 12 months. Questions about introducing a open cup

so my son turned 1 on Saturday. We still BF and will continue to do so until HE wants too. He does get real food that i make but not much so its almost strictly the Breast. When can i introduce a open cup or cup with straw? it will only have breastmilk at first. I am not going to be introducing cows milk because thats gross, we dont even drink it at home. it will be either Rice or Hemp milk, water and thats it. Its just a question no bashing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He can learn to drink from a cup or straw at any time. I first gave my sons a water cup with a straw around 6 or 8 months, just to get used to it. They were good at it around the year mark.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:09 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• bump
    ash707

Answer by ash707 at 4:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• just offer it to him, the straw may be more natural, because of the suck, but I'd just introduce it as anyone else would. Hold it for him, for the open cup and they also have tippy cups that have straws as well. I first introduced my son to a straw at 9moths, I gave him water, as well as a regular cup, me holding of course, he spills if he holds it by himself. I still breast feed just fine, my son is 17mos
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• are you opposed to a sippy cup? my daughter is 10 months and took a sip from a cup yesterday...then dumped the rest on her shirt! we went from breast milk to water for all of our kids. two of my kids were able to drink from a sippy at 6 months old. we never did alternative milks though. i don't like them : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Did you know that breast feeding is not beneficial after six months?

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My son BF until 20 months - I handled it as you are, he got other foods/drinks & I waited for him to self-wean. I think an open cup is asking for spilt breast milk! I used Avent bottles & sippy cup lids & my son did great with those. If you don't want to do a sippy cup, get one with a flip up straw. At 12 months, he's going to spill an open cup for sure!

sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I used the little dixie cups and just put it to her lips, she got the hang pretty quick, then we went to the cup with handles on both sides.
    hope this helps.
    juliemomx2

Answer by juliemomx2 at 4:52 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Glo402813- Wow yea sure lady or man whatever u are. Breastfeeding is very beneficial after 6 months, 12 months and beyond. Get a life.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• yea i was going to try water first with a open cup. I didnt want to use a sippy cup because its too hard to learn. None of my other kids ever learned. i introduced sippy cups at 6 months and beyond and they never understood it. they also didnt like the fake straws on those weird looking cups u see at BRU. it was way too hard for them to suck anything out. I have tried water before in a open cup for my son and he kinda got the hang of it. He puts his head down and tries to drink lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Anon, I had one kid who used a sippy and one who didn't. I wish I had never used one with my oldest! The one who didn't use a sippy never had that habit to break, and his teeth are straighter, too. I think it's great to skip straight to straws and cups.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:13 PM on Apr. 11, 2011