Were YOUR parents or parent strict when you were growing up?

If so, have ya learned anything from it? like to be strict but not over kill?

It's a big yes for me. I do understand alot of WHY now, but it was very difficult.

How about you?

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 4:16 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• if being forced to go to daycare and not being able to walk 2 blocks home in junior high strict then yeah i learned to make an extra key for my kid and TRUST him to walk home (depending on how far school is from home though) lol
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 6:13 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• my mom was STRICT until 12, after that she slowly stopped trying. What have I learned, to be strict when necessary, not 24/7, and as my son gets older just because he's older doesn't mean I don't guide him.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My parents were strict but very fair. I had a lot of freedoms by the time I was in high school because I earned them. But when I screwed up, I paid for it lol. I'm the same way with my kids
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Oh hell no. My parents did not much pay attention to what I did or said. I was the youngest of nine so perhaps they were tired.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Not at all. I got away with murder and they never questioned half of what I did. I wasn't a bad kid, but I did get away with a lot I wished I wouldn't have. I luckily never got hurt or got into trouble but I really wish I would have had more boundaries then, because I think I would have done better in school, possibly gone straight to college, and it would have made handling responsibilities much easier as an adult.
    Anonymous

• I used to think so but since becoming a parent, NOT AT ALL - my mom was very trusting / naive to what was going on - "kids will be kids" type of mom - I was drinking, having sex, smoking and smoking pot at 12 and she knew it - thought it was "normal" experimenting - we would be gone all day all night - only had to come home for dinner -she never met the parents or asked where we went etc.. she is loving and wonderful but Man, I learned how I WILL be different. I am like Anon...I wish I would have gotten caught on more things.. maybe I'd be different.. I woudl have listened and followed anything she said - she just didnt.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I was an only child and my Mom was in/out of the hospital alot dealing with cancer (twice) and a hysterectomy. My dad was a workaholic and they spoiled me rotten, often sending me into toys r us and leaving my cart (or carts) by the register and then getting them from the car to come in and pay when I was done. I was VERY spoiled and thought I was the only person on the planet who mattered. ... around 3rd grade or so once I realized I was never going to have any friends because of how damaged I was I became nightmarishly naughty and their discipline was either buying me a bigger tv or locking me in a closet. Getting me a puppy or beating me with electrical cords. They had no idea what they were doing.

I've learned kids need structure, routine, and rules. BADLY. It also taught me that only children aren't what I wanted to raise. A sibling teaches patience and humility and fairness.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• yes, my mom was very strict, my dad was easier but really he was always working so my mom was the boss!!!
    suzi960

Answer by suzi960 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My mom yes she gave my brothers freedom and she was strict on me well I moved in with my dad and he only came around to hit me other then the twice to three times a week beatings he could careless and even though my mom was nasty too you never went without food or medical care at her house.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My parents were VERY strict, and very critical. So much so that they really did drive me away... I moved out when I was eighteen because I hated living there. Anything I did was subject to their whims, and nothing I ever did was good enough.

I am trying to hit a better balance with my kids- I have rules, but I am willing to discuss them, and I don't 'demand' that the kids get straight A's the way my parents always did. Hopefully things will end better for them than they did for me. I had such a hard time making decisions (because I was never allowed to make any!) and still have issues with self esteem and fear of 'authority figures.'
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2011