Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I help my adult sons that are addicted to drugs, alcohol and sex?

These children started rebelling in the early teens and haven't stopped.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

Answers (9)
  • They have to help themselves, you can pray but ultimately they are in God's hands.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

  • I'm afraid that it would have to be extreme and that would probably be really uncomfortable, especially if they don't respond. I know people from rehabilitation centers will come to your home to help you stage an intervention with other family and friends to help encourage your children to get help. Also, if you have power of attorney with your kids, there are things you can do to secure them this help against their will if the cases are severe enough.

    Answer by kabbot01 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

  • The best thing you can do is get into Alanon or a similiar support group for people who have addicted family members or friends. These groups will give YOU support, and also provide some insight on how to deal with your kids. If you have a healthy mind and heart, and realize you can't help them alone, you will be of much great assistance to them. Sadly enough to say, addicts have to hit rock bottom before they look up and search for a way out of the darkness. Please get some counseling for yourself, because waiting for them to hit the bottom is grueling and heartbreaking.

    Answer by momof2g3b at 12:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

  • They are adults and there isn't much you can do, they have to want to get the help. If they are living in your house then it's time to kick them out.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

  • addicted to sex? how so? Sex is a healthy, enjoyable thing for responsible adults. You should urge them to get into rehab for the drugs and alcohol though if they are using them on a regular basis. To Anonymous, I don't think praying is enough to get an addict healthy.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • You can't help them.they have to fix their own problems.I know it is hard.Sometimes when we help as parents, we are only contributing to the problem.

    Answer by evelynwest at 2:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

  • You can't help them, They have to hit bottom and get help for themselves. I found out the hard way. The more I tried to help, the worse I made it. I was loving my daughter to death, and going broke doing it . Right now, she living with a guy that has beat her, hungry, and still using. She calls me every now and then asking for money. She knows I'm not going to give it to her, but she calls anyway. Get into AlAnon, it helps, people understand what you are going through because they have been there. It's really freeing to find peace even if your kids are still using. Take care of yourself. If you are unstable or ill because of their behavior, you won't be any good for anyone, including them.

    Answer by cyoun102 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 25, 2008

  • If your a believer:

    pray the blood of Jesus on them, pray on behalf of them to be covered with the full armor of God & for protection mentaly spirualy psychialy emptionaly ,pray they have a desire to get sober, pray that they will be repulsed at there doing drugs, pray that anything they learned in thier past of God will come to surface in thier memories, I agree w/ above answer, take care of yourself first, if you cant help yourself, you cant help anyone else.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Jul. 26, 2008

  • I have a daughter who's in a Nursing Home because of drugs and Alchohol!!! All you can do is ask them to get help, help them get it, and Pray Pray, Pray!!! I'll say a Prayer for you.

    Answer by BigTwit at 8:03 AM on Aug. 27, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.