What can happen to my sister who abandoned her kids?

My sister left her kids with my mom and disapeared. My mom called CPS and they went and picked up the kids. My aunt is trying to get custody of them now. I've talked to her recently and asked her why and she told me that they are better off with a better person, even though this truth hurts. This happened in Texas, so what could happen to her? Please no comments on how horrible she is. (hanks She does not want them back because she cannot support them. She has tried, but the kids never even had a bed.

LaGuera405

Asked by LaGuera405 at 4:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• They can charge her with child abandonment and take her parental rights.

Answer by gemgem at 4:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Termination of Parental Rights.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• God bless those children its hard to be left.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I am not too sure but she might just lose them for good. If she is depressed or has some kind of medical problem that is making her act this way then i am sure if she gets treatment she can get them back. I guess you can always talk to someone at social services and see what they have to say. but she can fight for them back, she will have to work with them and show that she is responsible but she might also have to pay child support for the kids also.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• If your aunt gets state help for the kids your sister can get stuck with welfare bill, no different than an absent father. She is still responsible for them $$ wise.
    juliemomx2

Answer by juliemomx2 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• The court will find abandonment where the evidence shows that the parent "voluntarily left the child alone or in the possession of another not the parent." If, upon leaving the child with the nonparent, the parent "expressed an intent not to return," that will be sufficient. If the parent did not express such intent, but did not provide for child support, the parent must be away for three months before the court will make the abandonment finding. (snippet)

In cases where the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) has had custody of the child for over six months, the court can find abandonment if the DFPS has tried to reunify the parent and child with "reasonable efforts," but the parent hasn't visited the child regularly or tried to make contact with the child, and the parent cannot provide a safe environment for the child.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6053272_child-abandonment-laws-texas.html
    Anonymous

• it must been hard for your sister just leave her kids there is always two sides to this you did not say anything about the dad of these kids where is he
    not all mother do this but ,there always that but
    and you did not say how many kids she had
    and the judge will have here both sides
    if she left the kids with her mom to look for job and your mother was to take care of them
    calling cas was wrong
    to be single mom and looking after the kids on your own is hard for anyone and not talking to adult can make a little crazy at times when your sister does come back don't judge her listen to what she has to say you might be shock what he has to say
    no it was not right but she needs hear what going on in her life and how she can move on
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 4:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• she will just loose any rights she has as a parent.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 6:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• First of all shame on your mom for calling CPS on her own grandkids. I thank God my mom would never do that. I know I would never abandon my son and nieces, but my parents would raise them if they had to. The aunt is going to have a tough time getting them out of the system.I know the mom has disappeared, but to actually sit there and let CPS take your "OWN" grandkids is really sad and low down to me, I'm sorry.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I feel like doing the same but your sister actually had the balls to do it. Good for her. For one, it's either that or she thinks of something more drastic like killing them, leaving them abandoned else where unknown, or them having to keep suffering because mommy can't care for them. It's not easy.Jobs aren't enough. If the dad's don't support then it's worse (I can't pay the rent if not for the miserable money I get from child support and that is all it's good for, I have to figure out the rest).She could get stressed and take it out on them.This can cause child abuse especially if she is depressed like me. With depression, your children are better off away from you.We all know how many mom's come out and do the most gruesome crimes against their own children when faced with hardship and depression.Some mom's get no support at all.She backed out when she knew she sucked at the job. That is more responsible than people think.
    Gitanagurl

Answer by Gitanagurl at 5:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2013