Just wondering if anyone out there has ever gotten pregnant after DH had a vasectomy?

I am starting to getting concerned because it has been about 7 1/2 weeks since my last period. My husband got snipped about two years ago, so I am probably just paranoid, and don't want to waste money on a test. I normally go about 5 weeks between periods. I know its pretty rare for a vasectomy not to work, so I was wondering if it has actually ever happened to anyone, or if anyone knows anyone it happened to?

Bamamommax3

Asked by Bamamommax3 at 4:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• our neighbor's husband had the V 7 years before they got a "surprise".

I also had it happen to another friend. It isn't common, but yes, it can happen.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 4:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Did your husband go back for a clear count or two? The rates of a pregnancy after a clear count is something like 0.025%.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:42 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Here you go:

http://www.vasectomy-information.com/articles/october2006.htm

"So what are the chances of a vasectomy rejoining after the all clear has been given? This is known as late recanalization, and is in fact very rare. It develops in only about one in 4,000 (0.025%) of vasectomies. It has been known to occur as late as 17 months after vasectomy3."

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Yes, he went back and got cleared. I knew it was very rare, thanks for the link. I am sure I am just paranoid. :)
    thanks for all the answers.
    Bamamommax3

Comment by Bamamommax3 (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I wonder about that too, my SO had a vasectomy done about a year old, I had my mirena taken out in January since he got all clear earlier (I think couple of months before). My periods have been right on schedule for the last two months (I had no peridd on Mirena) and this a third months and and I am 4 days late... I know it's only 4 days but freaks me out, cause we were sure we didn't want anymore.
    Azita888

Answer by Azita888 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Well I also read on another website that the newer techniques for V's are even more effective than the previous techniques used, making recanalization even rarer, but some doctors still perform the older technique. The new techniques actually take out part of the canal and cauterize the ends. I think this is what my husband had done. So either way chances are pretty slim it seems. :)

As for me, my period finally started today (OF COURSE, right?!) I am relieved because I am perfectly content with the four kids I have already. You are *probably fine too Azita, but of course, there is always that 1 out of 4,000 possibility. Good luck to you!
    Bamamommax3

Comment by Bamamommax3 (original poster) at 7:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Ok I am glad you are ok. I hope mine comes soon. You gave me hope. Thank you :-)
    Azita888

Answer by Azita888 at 1:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2011