Getting my milk to come in.

Okay so my son went into the NICU for breathing trouble. He is not able to eat without a tube right now so the only way i can give him BM is to pump. The only problem with that though is i am having alot of trouble getting my milk to even come in since its all from pumping and not from baby. I really want to BF when baby is finally able to eat and right now the best thing for him is BM even if its through a tube. So what can i do (if anything) to help my milk come in. Please this is very important to me so if anyone know of anything let me know. Thank you all so much in advance.

michelle.coppes

Asked by michelle.coppes at 4:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• keep pumping, every 2-3 hours. If you still have trouble I'd talk w/ a lactation consultant for extra tips. Good luck to you!
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Even with pumping you should be fine. I could only pump bc my daughter was upper lipped tied until they snipped it, and then she refused to take without a shield... Anyways, my milk supply was fine. It helps if you rub the side you are nursing on, especially if you have any spots that are swollen. Pump both sides for 10-15 minutes every 2 hrs. Good luck mama and don't give up!!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Can you have skin to skin contact with your baby? That will help stimluate milk production, if you can open your shirt while you hold him and put him up to your chest so your skin is touching his. If they can't allow that right now, maybe try pumping while looking at him, or holding a blanket he has used that smells like him, etc. And warm shower or cloth over your breasts prior to pumping might help. How many days ago did you deliver? It took five days for my milk to come in but then it was there in full force. Best of luck to you and your little one!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• i went through the same thing. i just pumped like crazy with a medical grade pump. ask in the breastfedding group if you want to know about supplements and stuff.
    ibebreezy

Answer by ibebreezy at 4:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Yep, just keep pumping - just like when baby is able to nurse right away, it takes a few days before your milk comes in - it'll be a few days before you'll pump milk - until then you're pumping colostrum which is soooo good for him, it's liquid gold! It may take a bit longer for your milk to come in if you're stressed - so relax as much as you possibly can and keep going, as often as you can!
    Anonymous