When did you start potty training and when was your child officially potty trained?

My daughter is 18 months old and goes to daycare and they are already starting to introduce the idea of potty training so I bought her a potty for home.

When did you start potty training and when did you child start using the potty all the time?
I'm so lost with all this stuff, don't know when I should get training pants and whatnot.

Any advice is welcome also considering she's scared of the potty right now!

davila26

Asked by davila26 at 4:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think we started as soon as they could walk. We put a potting next to the big potty but didn't really talk about it. As time went by they got curious and we'd talk about it and play at it, but no expectations of them going. Eventually, they just wanted to potty.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 4:58 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• See how she feels about it. My girls are 2 and are working on it, I have tried a few times before and they were just not at all interested! They arent going to do it until they are ready. But I think the pull ups are a waste of money.. I tried them with my son and he just thought it was a diaper, if you are going to try to potty train her i suggest just going to underwear, having her go every 30 mins or so until she gets used to it..
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I started both my girls when they were 2. My first DD was potty trained by 3 and my 2nd DD was potty trained by 2 1/2. It all depends on the child, each child is different.
    dolphingoddess

Answer by dolphingoddess at 5:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I started my oldest when he was 2 and 1/2 and it took 3 days. I did the 3 day potty training method. He wore pull-ups at night for about 6 months although 90% of the time they were dry in the morning. I am planning to start my youngest after he turns 2.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 5:13 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• We started introducing it when he was 12 months... just sitting on it and stuff like that. Later he started to go every night before bath time. At 2 years old we would "train" for about a week here and there and check for readiness... as in we would bring him often, put him in undies but he wasn't "ready" until he was 2 1/2... he's been day time trained now for about 1 1/2 months... he still needs a diaper at night though.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• We started when my daughter was 2 and she had no interest in it. She got the hang of it 3 weeks before her 3rd birthday.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 10:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• We started teaching our son when he was 15 months. He wasn't quite getting it so we gave it up for a while. Started again when he was 2 and he learned consistently for about a week. Now we are out of diapers and using the potty like a champ. I would say that if she is scared of the potty, she is not quite ready yet. Don't fret. She will train, you don't see many 18-yr-olds in diapers, right? I would recommend leaving the bathroom door open and letter her see mom and dad use the potty. She may want to be just like you and then she will start training. She will when she's ready.
    Meredith C.

Answer by Meredith C. at 12:55 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I started potty training my little girl early, At 10 months i started sitting her on her potty. She officially started using the potty the first time when she was 15 months and at 17months started using the big toilet! Just let him/her go to the bathroom with you and listen to the sounds of you peeing or doing # 2 so she/he will know the difference. i know it sounds nasty but thats the best way to teach them. hope this helps!
    tcline27

Answer by tcline27 at 12:45 PM on Apr. 12, 2011