Maybe somebody has some experience with this...

A few months ago, my sister had a ectopic pregnancy. She went to the hospital, tube had already ruptured, they did surgery and took the baby from the tube... they had to take her right tube because it was ruptured. She was really upset and scared... she's always wanted a baby. They told her they'd check out everything else, just to make sure it was ok & give her peace of mind... After surgery, they came back and told our family that she NEVER even had a left tube or ovary (born without 'em is what they said).

Fast forward to today, she got a CD in the mail that she requested when all this happened. The CD has all the ultrasound pictures from that night in the ER. She thinks she sees a left tube and ovary. There are even measurements (I don't have the CD so I can't be sure) but it's like RTOV 4 2 (or something) and LTOV 2 9 ? We're thinking these are measurements and well, how can you measure something that isn't there? She thinks they "mistakenly" took the left side instead of the first... but I don't see how that could happen...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I would maybe contact her OB's office and request for the doctor to look at the pictures and give their opinion. Perhaps they can give her another ultrasound to check.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• start slow. a visit to the OB and then a 2nd non related OB (different clinic/provider) to confirm and double check..... also she should get her surgical files and notes NOW, before she starts questioning the cd. Things have a habit of ending up missing, lost, destroyed, etc if a lawyer ever had to ask for them.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:14 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I agree! That sounds like such a crazy unthinkable mistake on the Dr.'s part but crazier stuff has happened. I would definitely get a copy of the records just to be safe. Just make sure she tells them it is for personal reasons so they do not suspect the possibilty of a lawsuit in the making. Just a question though, if they had taken her left tube and ovary and the ectopic was in the right, wouldn't she have had severe medical issues by now being as how the baby and ruptured tube would still be in there?
    Missalissa86

Answer by Missalissa86 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• "Just a question though, if they had taken her left tube and ovary and the ectopic was in the right, wouldn't she have had severe medical issues by now being as how the baby and ruptured tube would still be in there?"

My sister thinks they took both of them... that's what I just can't see happening. I'm at work now, but from what my mom and sister are telling me, they have this CD of the ultrasound and not only does it have measurements for BOTH ovaries, but the technician even put dotted lines where the tubes were. If in fact there was a left ovary and tube on the US then reasonable thinking would lead to believe it was still there or something happened to it. I have no clue. :( We're looking for somebody that will look at it for free, because she already has over $10,000 worth of bills from this alone... and yes, she does have insurance (crappy insurance) lol.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2011