Spin off of "Have you ever had to visit someone in jail."

I responded no and perhaps offended some by saying that those who go to jail are trash.
Perhaps I am biased because ALL the people I have known that have been in jail are just that. They keep making bad decisions and putting themselves in jail.

I do not and wont associate with those who put themselves in jail. I know it might sound snobby to some (getting attacked in the other post for it) but I'm a Mom now and the people I bring in my life I also bring into my childrens and I don't want that kind of influence in their lives. Am I wrong?

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I'd have to care about your opinion in order for it to offend me. I have visited people in jail, when I was younger, and I don't feel like they were trash. They made some dumb choices, choices I wouldn't make, but they weren't trash.

It's not good to generalize, it's never accurate and it makes you look uneducated.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• What if it was your child in jail? Still trash? Still no? Not everyone who finds themselves there is trash. Some make mistakes and end up there. My son is Bipolar and went off his meds and ended up in jail. I left him there to make a point for 3 weeks before bringing him home. All his charges were dismissed against him because as it turned out he was lying about his involvement in this crime BECAUSE he was off his medication. So my sons trash? Am I getting that right?

Answer by gemgem at 5:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It was the way you worded it and really I don't think you're being attacked. You have also kept pushing it. It's just not a good idea to throw stones because believe it or not, everyone, and you're not excluded, has something in their life that another would use to consider them trashy.
    Anonymous

• hmmmm i'd say yes and no. Yes who you bring in your life you also bring into your childrens. No because wouldn't it depend? I know someone who had to spend a week in county jail for a supppppperrrr old speeding ticket. When he finally went before the judge he HAD paid it prior to being shipped overseas (military) but paid with a personal check (a nono i guess). He never knew! But also, what if it was a close friend or family member who made a rash, stupid decision?
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 5:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I visited my son in Jail and juvenile hall but its all good if you think he is trash he might have been then but now he is okay sometimes we fall from grace and it happens but its all good we always have tomorrow to fall back into line.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• well, yes. not all of the people in jail deserve your judgement. and if your answer in the other post was this generalizing, i'm not surprised by their responses.
    you are in control of who you bring into your childrens' lives, yes. but to judge any and everyone who's ever been in jail or is in jail currently so confidently? wrong, IMO. you don't know their story.
    what about those jailed for defending themselves? maybe someone's death resulted in their actions. or perhaps it was an accident, and the jury convicted him/her, despite the evidence?
    you just don't know their story.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Actually I think people who are judgmental and have no reason to be are usually trash. So, that would be you.
    Anonymous

• Wow, kind of judgemental people here today.
    I was afraid to reply.....because I don't know anyone who has ever been in jail. I suppose I will get a DOWN vote for not knowing anyone who went to jail?? ;-)
    Chill, people! Be nice!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• WM...you sound like a fiercly protective momma and for that I give you props. I really hope you open your mind and heart a little bit to those are in a difficult situation...ya never know what their situation may be and your compasion may make all the difference.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 5:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I am open minded on a lot of things when it comes to peoples situations. I guess I'm just not sympathetic to those who PUT THEMSELVES in that particular situation because of the people I have known in that situation. I have known 10 people who have been in jail and all of which could have easily been avoided. I don't know. I have never been to jail, have never put myself in a situation where I could have been to jail and wont do so.
    worriedmommy600

Comment by worriedmommy600 (original poster) at 5:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2011