I think my 2 week old is eating too much!?

Our second son is now 2 weeks old and I started with breastfeeding but I just couldn't keep up with his demands of wanting to eat non-stop so I started supplementing with formula after the breast. He is now only on a bottle (to see how much he's actually eating) with breast milk and every now and then formula . Our doctor told us to start giving him a pacifier because she said he's a natural sucker and maybe not necessarily hungry. So if he seems to be hungry in between feedings we try to give him a pacifier but he just spits it out and cries for food!! On a couple of occasions he's eaten 4 oz. in one feeding! Our first son was a good eater but nothing like this, has anyone else experience a feeding frenzy like this?!

amygoetsch

Asked by amygoetsch at 5:18 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your baby is hungry then PLEASE feed it!! Your baby is growing and need the nutrients
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Yes! My kids were both pretty much insatiable in the newborn stage. Ate and ate and ate. They are both super-tall, now. I don't tend to be a fan of restricting food for a baby . .. their bodies know how much to ask for.

BTW, 4 oz. is pretty normal for a 2 week old.

Hang in there, mama!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• A nursing newborn is SUPPOSED to nurse often. It's for food, comfort, and how they build your supply. Whoever advised you to bottle feed instead, gave poor advice (unless you WANT to bottle feed). When nursing, the way to tell if baby is eating enough is to count diapers, you want to be changing at least 6-8 in a 24 hr period. Newborns should be fed on demand. If your baby is hungry, whether breast or bottle fed, go ahead and feed him as he demands.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Oh no I don't dare not feed him, that just seems stupid! I know he knows when he's full and will stop, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this? Right now he eats about 3-4 oz. every 2 hours during the day and 4 oz. a feeding about every 3-4 hours during the night. It just seems like a lot!
    amygoetsch

Comment by amygoetsch (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I had to supplement with both my boys after feedings because they weren't getting enough at first (they were loosing too much weight).
    amygoetsch

Comment by amygoetsch (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Sorry to post again but I know newborns nurse pretty much non-stop at first (I was prepared for that)! He would "eat" for 30-40 minutes and then about 10-15 mins later want to eat again! This went on for the first week before I started supplementing with the formula. My milk hadn't come in yet and and he was still loosing weight!
    amygoetsch

Comment by amygoetsch (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• two weeks is one of the biggest growth spurts. and when you introduced the bottle your supply suffer
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• It's not too much . . . it is amazing, though, how much food such a little body can process, isn't it?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:08 PM on Apr. 11, 2011