Are all Autism Centers set up with toys everywhere

I took my 4 year old to aba for the first time today.OMG I was amazed at how many toys are in the room.When they were evaluating my son I noticed his eyes jumping, and he was in total awe , it looked like a circus.Now my son hasADHD AND ALREADY HAS A HARD TIME FOCUSING AS DO MOST AUTISTIC KIDS.I expected it to be kid friendly but not so much we cannot get any kinda work done because he thinks it is play time.I think they should have a play room or place to put up the toys so the kids do not have to stare at them and do a math problem.The surprising thing is that I thought we had to make things less decorative, dimmer lighting for some, and not to have things that are distracting like this in a special needs school or therapy.It isn't playtime all the time and they do not understand why they are supposed to do a puzzle when they want to go play in the Thomas the train tent.I think the toys should be a reward for complying with them used minimumly .I do not know how to make him understand this isn't a game room its a learning room, and he cries bloody mureder when we leave because he still wants to play in the tent or with other toys.Is it just me or all the centers set up like a game room?I am soooo confused

Brandy928

Asked by Brandy928 at 5:39 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Any time. If you have questions feel free to message me. If I don't have an answer I can more than likely find someone who does.
    Randomocity

Answer by Randomocity at 2:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• They do that on purpose. By having a variety of things out, they are able to find out what kinds of things your child is drawn to, what their ablities are and how they problem solve. By doing so, they are able to find out the best way to help your child learn and succeed, as well as what doesn't work for your child. This also allows them to help your child learn to focus. It may take a while, but eventually they get it. Ds will be3 in July and has been in school for almost a year. He has come SO far in such a short period of time. Good luck!
    Randomocity

Answer by Randomocity at 12:34 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Thanks Randomocity!I am not getting alot of feedback here I appreciate you taking the time out to help.
    Brandy928

Comment by Brandy928 (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I appreciate it very much!It is a bit overwhelming, trying to figure out everything my son needs.I just want to make sure the things I am doing are the right ones for my son .i HAVE GOT SOME MIXED MESSAGES ABOUT THE CENTERS ,MOST SAY THE CENTERS THEY GO TO have a place for toys out of sight,or in the hall, although my son does need some social behaviors addressed, I am not taking him for play time , I am taking him to help him, and again I just think they are going a little overboard with all the toys.I mean the door opened and he fell on a toy right from the get go.It looked like , well like a playroom that hadn't been cleaned in a few days, like a circus .Seems like it would be hard for a normal kid to learn while starring at a playdough factory.
    Brandy928

Comment by Brandy928 (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Apr. 12, 2011