How to get rid of dog smell?

We just adopted a golden retriever cocker spaniel mix breed from the pound and she is a really great dog but my hubby doesn't like it that the house smells like dog now. I don't want to have to get rid of her cuz I am atttached and so are my girls so does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of the doggy smell? I give her a bath every few days and she even has her own dog perfume but i don't know what else to do.....help

Tamarock

Asked by Tamarock at 11:22 AM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Pets

• You can go to the store and get febreeze and get carpet spray or powder for pet smells. It helps alot. I have two dogs and thats how we keep the smell down. I also mop constantly and keep plug ins all over the house and fresh.

Answer by gemgem at 11:29 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I use to go nuts with my rottie...I could clean the house from top to bottom and all she would have to do is walk through it. I had hair everywhere. I used fabreeze, glade oil candles, it just masked it. Only good thing is you get used to it. I'm sure my friends would comment on it when they left my house. If I ever get a dog again it will be a poodle mix. Loved that rottie though.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:34 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Have you tried getting her professionally groomed? I believe I read that it takes several shampoos for that dog smell from the pound to get out. I would take her to the groomer, get her shaved if you can and then have them use the hot oil conditioner. It usually works well.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:49 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Be sure you don't bath her too often because bathing too often can cause dry skin for your dog and then she'll be scratching like crazy. I would go with the pp advice and spray febreez around the house. I use it for my dog and it works. FYI...A cheap solution to buying febreez is making your own.Use your favorite fabric softener and a spray bottle. Mix 2 tbsp.(or more for scent if you desire) and fill the rest of the bottle with water. Shake before each use. It works great and Febreez gets kind of expensive...LOL Good luck with Hubby and new Pup : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• My mom has a zoo in her home... 6 ferrets , 2 dogs , birds and a cat. I can not smell the animals when I visit. She uses a product called "Odoban". it works really well !
    Taerna

Answer by Taerna at 12:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Arm & Hammer makes a carpet deoderizer and freshener especially for removing pet smell. It works real good. It's powder. Just shake it on and in a few minutes or the next morning you can vaccuum it up. It takes the "doggy" smell out and leaves a light, fresh scent in it's place. The hard floors, lineoleum, tile, hard wood, won't really absorb the doggy smell, so just make sure you keep the dog hair swept up. Your uphoulstered furniture could hold the smell too, as well as stuff like bedding and drapes, even some clothes that you wear all the time while playing with the dog and don't wash that often, stuff like winter coats, etc. I'm assuming here you are talking about regular dog smell and not urine or feces smell.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• With two collies that live in the house, I have the doggy smell problem, too, especially when the two of them come in from outside!! I use ALL of the above-mentioned solutions: Febreeze, a potpourri burner citrus sprays, carpet powders, candles, and thank you,: Taerna, I am going to try the Odoban!!
    I brush and brush my dogs, because they have such heavy coats, to keep them from shedding SO MUCH on the floors. We also sweep every day and mop and vacuum every other day, but because my dogs are in and out a lot all day and night they sure smell up the house. They are so loving and sweet that it makes them worth the work to get rid of the smell.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 2:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I used a mixture of dawn dish soap and borax (it was for her flees) but she smelled great afterwards! Give it a try. Maybe sprinkle baking soda or a vacuum powder on the floor for a while then vacuum up to get the smell out of the carpet and couches. Also, let the dog dry off outside or on a porch where she will stay clean until dry.
    Anonymous

• I have read all the answers people have given. 1 person gave the answer i was going to give. Odaban, we use it at the Vet clinic. Also when I visited my mother who has 7 dogs I used it at her house and Wow what a difference. I have 9 cats adn 2 labs. I use Odaban and simple solutions cleaner, which you can get a Petsmart. Anytime someone comes over they enver smell my pets. I hate cat box odor and I use the spray simple solutions in the bottom of their pans when I change them. Also my labs smell from the dirt outside and it helps alot. I spray the carpets and furniture with Odaban and pets febreeze..Its part of having an animal. HAs your husband smelled his shoes? People often complain about animals but people have odors too. DO NOT USE POWDERS on you carpet. Dogs can get up their noses no matter how good you vaccum. Hope this helps..1 bath every 2 weeks with good DOG shampoo not people.
    Toolia

Answer by Toolia at 2:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• hydrogen peroxide!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 7:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2008