Handicapped Parking Spaces

There is a handicapped space in the lot my DD goes to tumbling and dance. The lot is not used by anyone other than parents of kids who go to these classes. Some parents use this handicapped space like any other parking space and do not hesitate to park there. I've made comments to the owner/instructor, but it's pretty obvious she doesn't care. Granted, I do not believe there are any handicapped parents or guardians that come here, but that's not really the point...if the spot is marked handicapped and you aren't, then don't park there!

So my question is...Does the owner owner of the business that handicapped parking space is meant for have to be involved for law enforcement to do anything since it is technically private property? Or does that not matter?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 5:45 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Just for Fun

• The owner has NOTHING to do with it. And when it comes to a public place with legal handicapped parking there is NO such this as private property. The same thing goes on at my families restaurant. My frigin fil will park in the HC every day! I cant stand it. Its very ruded especially since we have elderly and HC patrons. He argues that 5 points are necessary to make it a handicapped space. 5 Points meaning signs and blue lines and such . But hes wrong. If an officer were to see someone in that space then they could def ticket that driver. You have 2 choices. Report a driver parked there or ignore it and mind your own. Its usually lose lose though so good luck! lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• the law is the law. if its marked handicapped and a cop comes by they can be ticketed.! trust me
    aschwarz06

Answer by aschwarz06 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• hmmm idk look up your local ordinances. I hate to think if a grandparent or someone who really needed it and couldn't.......
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 5:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• you could call the local police dept. non-emergency number and tell them about this and they will have a squad car parked and will be happy to write out a ticket or 2 then after that maybe people will get a clue
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• actually, if its private property, the owner of the business has the say. its something the city requires in the permitting process, just like public restroom with handicap accessibility, entrances/exits, fire codes, etc.
    in our salon, we had allotted space for ten parking spots, one of which being closest to the entrance, was marked for handicap. however, it was always filled, either by employee or clients, with disregard for having an actual handicap sticker/placard/tag on the vehicle. if the owner of the salon wanted to enforce it, he could. however, the majority of the business needed the extra spot, as there just weren't many actual handicap drivers frequenting our salon. (private salon, not a walk-in business.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:52 PM on Apr. 11, 2011