Getting my 3 year old to bed. Need advice!

This is a new issue for us. My daughter, who is 3, has been resisting going to bed for the past 2 weeks. She'll go to bed, don't get me wrong. But she screams and cries the entire time.

I've tried reading to her. Singing to her. Laying down with her and rubbing her back. All the things we used to do. She'll lay down but won't go to sleep like she used to.

When I finally get up and leave her room she starts screaming. "Help me Mommy! Where are you Mommy?" And these loud, ear piercing screaches! And crying and kicking the door.

If I go in and soothe her then it starts again as soon as I leave. If I let her cry it out it goes on for about 20 min. After she's been quiet for a while I'll check on her. Her room is a mess (all her toys all over the floor and her bedding too) and she's sleeping ontop of it all.

Help!

amethystrse

Asked by amethystrse at 10:01 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 3 year old used to do that. Now I just put her in bed with th t.v on and he sippy cup and she goes to bed. On the nights she decided to throw a fit, I just make sure she dont get out of her bed I check on her about every 5-10 mins and if shes out of her bed I put her right back in and tell her not to get up. She screams and everything but I have gotten to the point that I have to make her do it or I'm gonna be fighting her when she is starting school. It will probably be alot harder then. Good Luck I know how extremely hard this situation can be. Especially dealing with it when you are tired at night too.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I know this is a REALLY frustrating situation, but I'm sure its just a phase...My daughter is going through the same thing right now and I'm pretty sure its just for attention or maybe she thinks she is going to be missing out on something in the living room. Hopefully it will be over soon, until then just try to get as much sleep as you can, when you can so you don't get frustrated.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 10, 2008