When to begin what? food

My DS is about to be 5 months old and I know I need to start giving him foods, but I'm not sure what to give, how often. I'm going to give him his first veggies on Easter. Either sweet potatoes of squash. I don't know how often I should give him fruits and veggies though and how often I can switch up what he gets. Does he get it just once a day for now? Should I keep him on one certain kind of veggie for a week or so or can I switch it up day to day? Also, when can I start giving him juice?

slowyourrole

Asked by slowyourrole at 6:14 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd wait on the juice and if ya do cut it 50-50 with water. I gave my kids mashed banana, avocado, yams, spaghetti etc....homemade.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 6:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• You shouldn't do juice just yet (we started at about 9 months)... when you do though put it in a sippy cup and not a bottle, it helps transition them out of a bottle. I would start with veggies mixed with cereal and formula (don't put in a bottle) and make it thicker and thicker after a few days just because they aren't use to the thick consistency. You usually do the same food for a couple of days just because babies aren't use to such different tastes and also in case they have an allergy to a certain food you will know what it was from. For now the food shouldn't be their "meal" so you don't have to give it to him at every meal time but I think it helps to just start it that way, even if he only eat a few bites. Good luck and I hope you have fun finding out what your little guy likes, they make the greatest faces with foods they don't like.
    amygoetsch

Answer by amygoetsch at 7:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• The main thing I learned when starting solids was to indroduce only one type for a week. We gave cereal for breakfast and then first food we tried was green beans and fed that for lunch and dinner for 5 days to weed out any food allergies. We also introduced all veggies first and then fruits (yucky to yummy) so she wouldnt refuse veggies after having bananas.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:55 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• never ever give anything but milk in his bottle and don't introduce juice until at least 1 year old. as far as the food goes any vegetable is OK to introduce and introduce a new one in a week; don't give fruits till around 9 months old; but as always you may want to talk to your doctor and see what they recommend because every baby is different
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 12, 2011