As an experienced mom, what is the BEST advice you would give a new mom?

New moms are offered a lot of advice , whether they ask for it or not. Is there some pearl of wisdom that proved to really be helpful for you, that you would like to pass on to our new and expectant moms?

(I'm posting this in the General Parenting and Babies categories, so both experienced and new moms will have a chance to give/receive. )

ss_mom

Asked by ss_mom at 6:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let yourself make mistakes! No one is perfect. No child is perfect and no two kids are the same. What works with one will not work with another.

Most importantly .... R-E-L-A-X!!!

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:26 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Pick your battles! Don't forget that they are little,very young people, not short adults! Don't worry if a load of laundry goes an extra day, or the floors didn't get vacuumed every single day. The world will not stop spinning on it's axis,and hurl into the sun. ENJOY them! They're only little once!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 6:28 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• They don't NEED everything (especially when they get older) Weigh your true NEEDS with the WANTS.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 6:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Research EVERYTHING and make the best decisions for your family!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Don't go overboard buying things for a newborn. Chances are you won't use some of it. Especially newborn size diapers and clothes! My children were out of both the diapers and clothes within 2 weeks.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Do your research and don't take anyones "word for it" even the doctors and then do what works for YOUR family even if it isn't what your parents or in laws or anyone else feels is right. Do what works and feels right to YOU and your family. Also don't beat yourself up when things don't work out as planned. We all make mistakes.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• For new Moms the best advice I got was sleep when the baby sleeps. I wasn't able to follow it as we were trying to close on our house - so when baby slept I made phone calls. But it was great when I did get too.

After that stage I'd go with cbk_mom3
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 6:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• the best advice i got was "everyone is going o have an opinion, ignore them all and make your own decision"
    Also, research EVERYTHING even when it seems self explanatory :)
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 1:06 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Most of the stuff on the internet is false. Ask a real, live person who works in the field you are wanting to know about.  And most importantly, ask your doctor, not the moms on Cafemom.  They may claim to have spent thousands of hours researching (place condition here) and have a "I have been in your shoes" story, but that doesn't replace the degrees on your doctor's wall.  Moms on here confuse support with bullying you into agreeing with their treatment decision.  It's best to not even mention it.
    sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 8:27 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• ask your doctor for information
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 12, 2011