Baking soda substitution?

I'm making banana bread, the recipe I use calls for 2 tsp. baking powder and 1/2 tsp baking soda. I'm out of baking soda. Do I need to make a store run?

luvschocolate

Asked by luvschocolate at 6:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Do you have Cream of Tartar?? If you do, Mix 2 parts cream of tartar with 1 part baking soda. For example, mix 2 tsp cream of tartar with 1 tsp baking soda.
    Use the amount of baking powder called for by the recipe. No matter how much homemade baking powder you made, if the recipe calls for 1-1/2 tsp, add exactly 1-1/2 tsp of your mixture.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• thanks, but I have the baking powder, its the soda I need. All the substitute lists just show for baking powder.
    luvschocolate

Comment by luvschocolate (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Mixing baking powder with cream of tartar is equivalent to baking soda. Mix 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar with 1/4 tsp of baking powder and use that as your baking soda.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I'll use this tip next time I run out!
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 10:56 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Actually it is mixing baking SODA with Cream of Tartar which makes up baking POWDER.

Twice the amount of b powder to substitute for b soda. I'm having the same dilemma with banana bread recipe and no b soda in the house. How I got to this thread. Feeling confident about completing the batter with what I have on hand.
    Bluemuse

Answer by Bluemuse at 1:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2013