When do you feel it's okay for girls to wear makeup and what kind?

lovinlifewith5

Asked by lovinlifewith5 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• When they are ready it's different for each kid. I think it should be done in phases. For example, lip gloss at 12, lipstick and eyeliner at 16 etc. I would stick to natural tones nothing outragious. And show her how to remove make-up and basic skin care.
    BillieHolidae

Answer by BillieHolidae at 6:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My daughter wears make up occasionally. She's 16 and because she's not working, she wears what I can get coupons for at Target. She wears her make up very light, no eye liner, no heavy eye shadow, no heavy blush. She knows how to not have a make up line at her chin.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My daughter will be allowed to wear light make up when she's 12, which is this weekend. That's the age I was allowed to. She will be allowed to wear blush, eye shadow and mascara and lip glosses. All in light quantities
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 7:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Probably 14 or so. A little powder, blush, or eyeshadow wouldn't bother me. I won't let my daughter be the kind to cake the crap on and wear the thickly drawn on eyeliner.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 6:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My daughter is not yet a teen. Not even close. She has her 3rd annual dance recital coming up next month.

Last year (June 2010) her recital was about 10 days after her 4th b-day. She was the *only* girl of about 20 dancers not wearing make up. A bunch of Moms went in (financially) hiring a makeup artist with airbrush equipment. My daughter wore lip gloss and 1 pat of blush per cheek. .... I refuse to let her be sexualized or forced to be adult. I think make-up is to enhance adult beauty and to attract a mate. A 13-17 year old should be attracting college scholarships and not much else. ... Prom maybe negotiable. Or picture day covering up zits..... but not the trash I see walking in the mall that represents teens in my local schools. NOOOO
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• When I was 13 I started using face powder(to get rid of my shine) and lipgloss and that's it. I will probably let my daughter do the same. Even now I don't use much makeup, just face powder, lipgloss and light eyeshadow so I won't allow my daughter to look like a clown.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 6:49 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• When my daughter started high school I allowed her to wear some light make-up to school. She's a junior now and still only wears a little eye liner and mascara. Often she doesn't wear any make-up. I think that once girls are in high school as long as the make-up is applied sparingly it isn't that big of an issue. My friend's daughter doesn't like the fact that she has light blonde eyelashes and wearing some mascara helps her to feel more confident in her appearance.
    cege

Answer by cege at 6:56 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My daughter is 12, she started jr. high this year and asked me to if she could wear make up after the first week of school. She is allowed to wear mascara, eyeliner, pressed powder, and lip gloss. I taught her how to put it on and it is very natural and tasteful. I decided to give her permission because I wanted to monitor it. I see girls at her school putting makeup on eachother looking like clowns. My DD has told me her friends wash it off before they get home. I don't want her to sneak behind my back, I want an open honest realationship with my children. PS she tells me how silly the girls who sneak makeup look...she said "mom I'm so glad you taught me how to do it right."
    lovinlifewith5

Comment by lovinlifewith5 (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I think how much u are letting her is just right! I put make up on my brother kids and they go from age 3 to 8
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 7:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I was allowed to wear makeup when I was 12. I could wear light eyeshadow and lipstick. When I was 14 I started wearing the rest. I think as long as girls are taught how to put it on they can wear it at 13 or so.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 11, 2011