I told my niece "no" yesterday and now my sil doesn't answer my calls or text

She is 3. They were over for dinner (so I thought). ANYWHO....I was fixing dinner (burgers and hot dogs on the grill, so chips, pasta salad, etc) she kept getting in the chips so I took them and folded the bag and said "no more we will be eating soon sweetie" she went and pouted on her daddys lap and about 10 mins later they said "i think she needs a nap we are going home" Now today she isn't answering my calls or text (we talk daily) AND my dh just tried calling my mil AND he didn't answer. He now agrees that MAYBE what I did made em mad. Woould YOU be mad? My children are grown and that has always been my rule.....

brypmom

Asked by brypmom at 6:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Besides, her parents should be teaching her to respect other people's property and rules in their homes. I know she's 3 but not too early to learn that. I did it with my son and my sister does it with her 3 year old too.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 7:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• i wouldn't be mad, and it was really rude of them to leave before the meal if they were already over for dinner! perhaps daddy should have been the one to intervene but he wasn't around so i would have done the same thing to my niece. in our family we stick by the "it takes a village" concept.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• That is nothing to get mad about, but these days you never know.......

Answer by older at 6:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• If they are mad they are idiots. Kids need rules, you did the right thing. It was very rude of them to leave your house after you made food for them for dinner.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 6:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• If they are highly sensitive about anyone diciplining their child they would be mad. why would they let their child fill up on chips? i guess they saw it as that they are the ones that are suppose to dicipline their child.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I would not be mad over it. Some people are too sensitive.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:13 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• So you told her "no"? Big woop! Children have to learn (ecspecially at her age!) Its not like they never told her not to do something. My twin girls are only 5 months, and Im not "strict" but i make sure they know right from wrong, ya know.? So take a trip over there, and ask if you made them upset, and that you didnt know it would upset them!
    GraciesMommy464

Answer by GraciesMommy464 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I don't see a problem with this. You didn't want your niece to spoil her dinner. I hope there's something else going on with your sister because this is very petty to get upset over.
    fricky29

Answer by fricky29 at 7:02 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• God, no. My sisters do that to my son if they need to and I do it to my sister's little ones if need be. It wasn't mean or rude or malicious and you're an aunt...not some stranger telling her something.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 7:02 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Sister in law. Sorry.
    fricky29