My grandson just turned 3 and he is still in diapers

He acts like he is scared to go on the big potty, he will go and hide when he has to poop and he will tell you he needs his diaper changed. I have tried everything but he will lick and scream if I try to put him on the toliet. Help and suggestions?

sebring2206

Asked by sebring2206 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Give him some more time. Potty training is not a cut-and-dry thing. It's different with every child.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 7:09 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I have three kids and my son was the most resistant to potty-training. You definitely don't want to stress them out when it comes to going to the bathroom and typically going poop is the most stressful for all kids.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with a little positive reinforcement by way of a sticker chart, a small toy or book as a reward for going in the "big boy" potty.
    My pediatrician always told me, "they won't go to kindergarten with a diaper." That being said, every child is different and it just takes time. Maybe reading potty books, sitting on a mini-potty in other parts of the house to get familiar with what a potty is and how it works. I used to sit on the big potty while my daughter sat on the baby one in the bathroom for moral support.
    Hang in there!
    mamabrickhouse

Answer by mamabrickhouse at 7:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Start making a note of when he goes poop. When it gets to that time put him on the potty and give him a snack, I gave my daughter Ritz crackers while she sat there. She didn't get them any other time. It is easier to get a child to pee on the potty then to poop so, try to conquer that first. He is old enough to get the reward system.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• my son was showing no interest in potty training up until a month before 3. i had two kids in diapers being that my dd was 17 months younger then him. so i said ok. we put him in underwear and plastic training pants. for about 2 weeks he had accidents half that time. but was still wearing pull ups at night. when he could go all day with out an accident we worked on nite time. i put a plastic sheet under his sheet and we did the same thing for the day at night. he had accidents but with in a month of starting it he was trained. it was hard but he did it. we also put a jar of treats in the bathroom. and whenever he went he got either 1 or 2 treats. as did his sissy. i think that helped alot because he loves giving her treats.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 7:12 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My girl was 4 and still in Diapers. It took my mother telling her that if she didn't get rif od the Diaper then they were not going to go shopping anymore. That did it my 4 year old stopped wearing diapers that day.
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• One mom on here suggested what worked with her child was sitting the child on the potty chair at a table in front of the TV. Have all sorts of activities ready and sit with the child and do the activities together and watch some children's shows together. Devote several days to this. Stay calm and matter of fact and explain that it is time to learn to use the potty. Have some rewards ready and show them to the child. Simple dollar store toys, stickers, whatever. Make a big deal about him being successful. Another mom had a big reward on a high shelf and told her child he/she could have it after a week or so going to the potty. On each day he/she got some sort of smaller reward. This is more appropriate for an older child as yours is. Just ideas. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:15 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• i put my ds on the potty kicking and screaming. he was in underwear in 4 days at 2 1/2. just sayin. if you can stay home with him:
    Potty list:
    Timer; Juice; Underwear; Resolve, Books, Crayons, Stickers, potty chair [if you're not doing it on the big potty]

set a timer for every hour, if he doesn't go, it's every half hour until he does go. make sure you put him on the potty 15 minutes after he drinks something, don't change the timer unless he goes. don't use pull ups. let him run free or put him in underwear. make sure you have resolve, you will need it. JUICE. the more juice you give him, the more chances he will have to go. don't punish him for having an accident. express that you are sad that he peed on his underwear, that he didn't go in the potty. have a box of things to do while on the potty, books, crayons, color books, a list of songs to sing with him. also, sit with him. sit there for at least 10-15 minutes.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• sorry, ran out of room. When you pick underwear, have him pick them out. he into toy story? whatever he's into, make sure to stress that they don't want to get wet. " now Jimmy, Buzz doesn't want to get wet, so don't pee on him!" make sure you show him how to pull the undies down, sit, ect.

when he does go in the potty, make a HUGE deal! give him a sticker, a potty treat (m&m, teddy graham, mini marshmellow, ect), something that he likes that's small and good for treats. do a potty dance, clap, jump up and down, sing a potty song...just make a big deal about it.

If you can't stay home with him, do everything i wrote while you are at home with him, if he's at a daycare/preschool/babysitter, make sure you talk with them to let them know what you are doing, so yall are on the same page. they should put him on the potty at least every hour or so. GL!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• oh yeah, also, repeat this over and over: "do you have to go potty?" ; "Remember to go peepee in the potty!" repeat this like every 2-5 minutes.

i'm potty training my dd...although i'm working now so it's taking longer than ds. she does great at home, she doesn't have any accidents. [knock on wood] but the preschool she's going to makes me answer questions about her, and if all the answers are yes, then she can wear undies. when i took my ds out of the house after being "house trained" i put a pull up OVER the underwear to train him while we were out. that took a few days...i'm not sure how well she'll do at preschool right now. i'm hoping we're financially stable in a couple months so i can quite and she'll be fully trained by then. she's 2 1/2 btw
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Quit pushing him, he's pushing back. Let it be his idea.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2011