Military wives please.

Recently we had a relative ( A Marine) come back from another tour in Afghanistan. Yea! He survived! He was wounded twice over there this time, and did submit the paperwork for his purple hearts. He told us they are required to pay for their medals themselves!!!! WTF???? Have your hubby's been injured or gotten medals and were made to pay out of pocket for it themselves? Our Marine said his purple hearts were $320 a piece!! Again, WTF!!! Seriously??!!!! Am I wrong to think our Govt ought to be picking up the cost for our Hero's? This just pisses me off on SO many levels. How about you Lady's Thanks for you time

vbruno

Asked by vbruno at 7:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• Ok so I just asked my hubby and he can't speak for other branches(though he is pretty sure they don't have to pay either) but he is positive the U.S. Army is never required to pay for their medals unless it is lost or damaged & needs to be replaced.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 10:14 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• What?!!! I have never heard of a soldier ever having to pay for their medals. My husband didn't!

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 7:25 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My husband didn't pay for his either. Granted, it was 30 years ago...

I do see fees for special license plates in some states.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• At least they let him get them. They are refusing to do the paperwork for my husbands. But, to answer your question, yes, the govt should pay for them
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• You may want to ask this in the Military Moms group...

Answer by rkoloms at 7:55 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My husband did not get a purple heart but he did get several medals while on his last tour of duty in Iraq. They gave him the paperwork saying that he earned the medals and he took it to Military Clothing and Exchange so that HE could order the medals. If I remember correctly, he paid about $75 for his medals. I don't remember him having to pay for them himself the first time he went in 2004.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Yeah I hear ya.It doesn't matter what branch they are in they are all fighting for the same cause & shouldn't be treated differently. Very wrong!
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 10:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• This is my relatives 4 & 5 purple heart and he's going on a 6th tour over there again. perhaps it has something to do with how many they get?? Its just odd to me they would have to pay at all.
    vbruno

Comment by vbruno (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• This must be a Marine thing then. How odd. The branch thats first in and first on the ground gets treated like this.
    vbruno

Comment by vbruno (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Thanks Lady's I appreciate your time.
    vbruno

Comment by vbruno (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Apr. 12, 2011