what happens if....

What happens if I sneek food in while I am in labor and end up needing a c section for whatever reason.
I get dizzy and light headed and pissed off when I am hungry, so I dont want to add that on top of being in labor for who knows how long. So I want to eat on the way to the hospital, how does it really effect the c section if i needed it?

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 11:46 AM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I know lots of people that ate a full meal after they went into labor but before going to the hospital. If I were you, I'd take some snacks. If you get into the hospital and don't feel like you can eat, don't eat. But if you get hungry, you've got something. I've also heard that indigestion stops when you get so far into labor, but if your stomach is empty when you go into labor, you'll probably be hungry the whole time.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• trust me when your in labor eating is going to be the last thing on your mind you wont find yourself hungry at all. now when you first start to feel contractions coming on go ahead and eat something while your at home if you think you need to. But it really is best to have a empty stomach incase of a c section other wise you could end up vomiting during surgery and since your laying down it could cause you to asperate it back in to your lungs which is dangerouse. As soon as baby is born they will get you something to eat.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:58 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Don't go in assuming you'll have a c-section. I ate during my labor(McD's breakfast, I wasn't up to cooking) when I was at around 6 cm. I had no problems. I think it's sort of silly to deny a woman who is doing that much work nutrition to help keep her going.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I must confess I ate a Snickers bar around 2am, and then at 3am found out that the OB was going to go ahead and do a c-section at 7am. I was so hungry! I knew a c-sect was a definite possibility but I ate the candy anyway. I was fine, didn't aspirate any vomit during surgery. But I would NOT recommend eating anything.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I didnt have a c-section but i'm glad i didnt eat anything. I got really naseous around 5cm & had the dry heaves until i delivered...
    Mamakat90

Answer by Mamakat90 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Talk to your doc ahead of time, some places will let you bring your own icecubes, in which case you can get that special k water (with protien and vitamins) and make them into ice cubes. Your body will feel like it is getting nutrients, but since it is all liquid your body will absorb it faster than food and your stomach will be empty...Our hospital also allows jello until a certain point...
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 12:42 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Snacks are great for labor, but if you think you might need a c-section eat light- especially if you need general anethesia. If you an epi I think it is not so bad. I knew I was more or less going to have a c-section so I ate light meals for a week until I went into labor.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 1:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2008