Starting cosmetology school...

Ill be starting school in a few months and am SO EXCITED! But so very nervous!

The administrator i spoke with said id be a great student based off my interview, i also showed her a couple pics of hair i have done myself to my sister and friends and she was in shock of how well it turned out, and even more so when i self taught.

I love coloring, make up, nails etc, but have never cut a womans head, and am very nervous about that, I know we practice on manikins first, but i feel like ill be the only one in the room that doesn't know much about cosmetology.

its just my nerves, and self esteem getting the best of me, how can i get over this??

(advice?? even better if you have been or are in cosmetology school)

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I've always wanted to go to cosmetology school. You will do great! Good luck and have fun!
    Sammy1984

Answer by Sammy1984 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• You have a few months to come back to earth. Right now enjoy the excitement of it! Best wishes!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:17 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• huh? Back to earth? LOL
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• the best learners are the ones who are nervous, IMO. they listen better, watch more, do more, and study more so they can get over their feelings of anxiety. unfortunately, like all schooling, you may get to the top of the class, but once you are into a salon, you'll be back on the bottom again. lol..its the circle of life.
    having said that, everyone has to start somewhere. and even though you make it through school(a large number won't), pass the boards(a large number won't), and work in a salon, does not make the nerves go completely away. there'll always be someone, be it a client or a fellow stylist, who just wants to bust your chops. fortunately, if you're a willing and open person, they'll be someone else around to teach you more about the business, and not just how to cut an A-line or flattop.
    bottom line is this: do your best, and your best will do you well! trust me.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Congrats and good luck momma!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• You'll be fine, sounds like you have a knack for it. The biggest thing I can tell you -is that wehn you get out on the floor and start doing hair on real customers LISTEN to them. Do not do things how YOU want- it's all about making them happy :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My first degree out of high school was electrology. I was surprised at how they tossed you in there right away. The very first day I was working on myself and other students. You are kind of "forced" to get the hang of it very quickly, and it is good that they do it that way, because you get to develop a lot of practical experience that way. No time to be afraid.

Good luck!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Ok, my biggest suggestion would be, make sure this is what you want to do. I love what I do and I'm damn proud of it. But I'll tell you right now, if this isn't your passion and drive, there is no point in spending the money. And this is ME looking back on everything.
    Don't expect to have an amazing high paying job straight out of school You tend to eat crow for about the first 3 years. I put up with a lot of crap to get where I actually make money off of it and I still struggle. MY income doesn't even help with the student loans. Every salon I ever worked at has drama, so be tough, and pick your battles. Don't ever get "master stylist syndrome", or an ego, you will fall so hard you won't know what hit you and you will lose clientele. LOL They told me there was a 80% job placement rate. I don't believe it. Out of a class of 42, 6 of us are still doing hair. Every group that came in has about 8 to 12 drop outs.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:27 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I'm not trying to scare you. I'm sort of reflecting on my career here! So don't get me wrong. I look back and wish I would have known some of this stuff sooner. Good luck!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• That's what school is for :) Enjoy the excitement and try not to be nervous :) I'm a cozzie too :)
    praisinghim2day

Answer by praisinghim2day at 8:57 PM on Apr. 11, 2011