Choosing to have a 3rd Child??

My husband and I were considering trying for baby #3. I have a 4 yr old girl and a 2yr ild boy. My son has moderate autism. Someone told me t hey thought it would be selfish of me to want another child knowing that they had a higher chance of bing autistic as well. Never thought of it that way and now I am second guessing myself. Just wondering all of yalls thoughts on this issue. Thanks!!

redtang912

Asked by redtang912 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in General Parenting

• autistic children have never experienced not being autistic. so i don't see why it would be hurtful to them. they love and are loved just like everyone else. i understand your concern though. but i don't think you are selfish at all!
    scarletsm0m

Answer by scarletsm0m at 6:38 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I think that person is crazy.Autism does not make a baby not worthwile.Your baby will be a unique individual just as all people are.
    kellyandliz

Answer by kellyandliz at 10:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• It is not selfish. If you are prepared mentally and physically for it, do as you wish. Just because one child has an affliction does not mean another child will take away from that. If there is enough love to go around, by all means, have another baby!
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 10, 2008