Why so harsh?

I have noticed that alot of the questions that get asked get several sarcastic responses like "We aren't doctors, go talk to them" or "Do I look like a pregnancy test?" I think this is a little harsh. I think they all know they cannot be diagnosed from a paragraph they post on an online forum. The women that make these posts are usually just looking for people who can relate to what they are going through. Whether it's from a past experience or what they are going through now, it's nice to hear how everything worked out for them and what insights they gained from their experience. If a pregnancy forum isn't meant for asking advice and opinions about pregnancy and things related, then what is it for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Apr. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• PS I do like the new trend that women are posting photos of their home preg tests they've taken and asking for advice on interpreting the resuls. It seems a little more friendly and more human and more pro-active.

If you cannot without help from the internet determine if there is or is not a human being growing inside of your belly, however..... how will you master carseat safety? Enrolling a child in school and feeding them balanced meals? .... Some people on here need HARSH. Others need permanent birth control. Others need CPS.

Or they need to invent a clever device (and become richer than Bill Gates) where you can piss on a flash drive and insert it into a personal computer and have cafemom or twitter read your hormone levels and tell you once and for all if you are or aren't pregnant after the condom broke 3 days ago and you think you feel kicking down there
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I think it HAS to be harsh sometimes

And we have NOT been there. Most of the people on cafemom if they had sore swollen breasts, were of child baring age, were missing a period, and having active unprotected sex would seek a doctor (or the lady aisle of the pharmacy) and not strangers. Strangers who might be men. Or not even Moms. Or live 9,000 miles away in another country. Common sense needs harshness
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I agree with you. If you feel the need to be harsh or rude, then just don't respond. :)
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 8:26 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Some people can be harsh, but in the end the only thing they can do is take a pregnancy test and/or speak to their doctor. Forums can only do so much. And I agree that some things are just common sense, unprotected sex=take a pregnancy test!
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 8:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I dont know why ppl have to be so mean..maybe it is because they need to feel inferior in some way. I think the ppl that answer rudely are not happy with themselves so they have to make others feel like crap in order to feel better about themselves. I dont like to see when moms are just asking for advice get sarcastic answers. I am here to help moms out, not criticize them. If i cant help then i usually dont answer the question. For example, i hate when a mom wants to wean a baby from BF and they get answres like...why stop? They are not asking if they should or shouldnt stop...they are simply asking for advice on how other moms did it.
    Anonymous

• Because we have the same question on here daily! We don't know if you're pregnant,just take a dang HPT!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• LMAO @ hibbingmom!
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I agree with you anonymous, there is no need to be bitchy or judgmental. Even it's common sense I always respond a nice way, I'm not in the business of hurting people's feelings.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Probably it's from a bunch of moms that have seen these same questions hundreds of times now.... there's a box at the top of CM... you can type "Am I pregnant" in that box - I'll bet you a dollar it's there at least more than 500 times. And it gets old - really old... especially when the poster is posting anonymous.

I agree with you tho about some of the questions being legitimate - those shouldn't get rude answers.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 10:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I totally get that part, sometimes harshness is necessary. When someone makes a post that doesn't seem genuine, I get annoyed too. i.e. "We had sex unprotected why I was ovulating, I am a week late and having every prgnancy symptom I could google...should I test?" That's a big fat duh! But sometimes I see questions like "How early should one test?" or "Is this normally a sign of early pregnancy or is it unrelated?" getting very rude answers. If they have never been pregnant before they probably don't know what to expect. And nobody wants to go running into an OB to have them treat you like an idiot for thinking you are pregnant when you aren't. Maybe they are just trying to figure out if it's worth a trip to the doctor or if they should just assume everything is normal and carry on with their life.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2011